Respected Contributor

Re: There is a helium shortage

Helium is used for more than just balloons. Some medicals uses such as MRIs, air bags in cars and scuba tanks. It comes from mining it and is not a renewable source.

Honored Contributor

Helium is a by-product of natural gas processing. Helium is removed from the methane as part of the purification step in making natural gas.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I will read further but that was in a tech article I read. Thanks

Respected Contributor

Ever since one of my kids was young, he told me he didn't want helium balloons at his birthday because he said, "There's not an unlimited supply, you know." Every year I would forget he said that and get a few.  Coincidentally his birthday is in a few days, so I guess he's not getting any!

Honored Contributor

I guess the balloon sales keep the stores afloat
Esteemed Contributor

This shortage is not new.  When DD went to get DGD balloons for her bd last fall Party City was out.  I guess by now it's gotten so bad they need to close stores.

And @lovesrecess , Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I keep an eye on a few different eagle cams and over the years I have seen either the old balloon with attached string or the strings themself brought to the nests. They are so dangerous for birds in general.

Honored Contributor

how can it be a global shortage if it is found in just three states? it must be found a lot of other places where fracking doesn't happen....so guess it just isn't a renewable resource and we have blown our allotment, so to speak....
Esteemed Contributor

To answer the question, "where does helium come from?", I found this from the website creative balloons of idaho dot com.

"Helium is a by-product of natural gas found in several large fields around the world. The US is the largest producer of helium supplying 71% of the world’s helium. The two most important sources of helium in the US are the Hugoton-Panhandle field complex, which is located in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, and the ExxonMobil’s LaBarge field, which is located in the Riley Ridge area of southwestern Wyoming. Most production from the Hugoton-Panhandle complex is connected to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) helium pipeline and Cliffside storage facility near Amarillo, TX, and is the location the largest supply."

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I went to dollar tree on the front door a sign saying they are out of helium. I was not in the market for balloons never thought much of it but after reading this thread guess there is a shortage.