Respected Contributor

I read this in the news today.  Not enough helium to go around.  Party City is closing tons of stores as a result.  I looked it up - where does helium come from?  It is found in large underground deposits in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Interesting!

Honored Contributor

Re: There is a helium shortage

I continue to learn something everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

Me, too!  What exactly is a global helium shortage and how could it close 45 stores?  I realize that their balloons need helium, of which I am not a fan because of the dangers to wildlife, but they carry every kind of themed party ware.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

’Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas’ and immediately thought.....

Fracking.

Googled ‘helium fracking’  and a bunch of hits pop up.

There have been numerous earthquakes in these 3 states

over the last decade...many say due to fracking. 

Connection? Maybe. When I have more time, I’ll poke around.

Less fracking.

Less helium.

Less wasteful balloons for your kick-A party. 

Win-win-win. 

Honored Contributor

That is interesting. 

But for the first time during my last visit to Sam's Club, they had a helium tank and balloon kit. I never noticed it before. I was guessing because we are getting to graduation time. That they began to carry it.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Me, too!  What exactly is a global helium shortage and how could it close 45 stores?  I realize that their balloons need helium, of which I am not a fan because of the dangers to wildlife, but they carry every kind of themed party ware.

I read something that said most of Party City's money is made with the helium balloons which people come in for, then they buy other stuff while they're there. They also said they were looking for a new supplier and might reopen the stores by summertime. But apparently the helium supply is not so predictable, they don't really know how much they have until they actually bottle it.  It's just floating around out there!    

Esteemed Contributor

I was reading about this on another site and a commenter posted a picture of the 1986 Cleveland balloonfest.  It was a charity thing and they released over 1,400,000 balloons. The balloons collided with a cold front and they fell, still inflated, in Lake Erie, on roads and the airport had to close for 1/2 hour. there were accidents and caused a lot of damage. The charity lost money due to paying for damages.

You can google it and watch the launch.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I was reading about this on another site and a commenter posted a picture of the 1986 Cleveland balloonfest.  It was a charity thing and they released over 1,400,000 balloons. The balloons collided with a cold front and they fell, still inflated, in Lake Erie, on roads and the airport had to close for 1/2 hour. there were accidents and caused a lot of damage. The charity lost money due to paying for damages.

You can google it and watch the launch.

So interesting and crazy!  Thanks for posting about this!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx   You're welcome. I agree it was crazy. I just showed the video of the launch to DH.  They said most of the balloons ended up in Canada. The thousands that ended up in Lake Erie impeded the search for two fisherman that fell out of their boat.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Grouchomarx   You're welcome. I agree it was crazy. I just showed the video of the launch to DH.  They said most of the balloons ended up in Canada. The thousands that ended up in Lake Erie impeded the search for two fisherman that fell out of their boat.

I know!  Apparently it caused tons of problems for people driving, and a local airport had to shut down a runway!  Some horses got spooked and injured themselves.  God only knows what else!  Such an epic disaster.