Trusted Contributor

Re: There is a Verdict in the Murdaugh trial!!

That was the most soft spoken, scathing rebuke I have ever heard from a judge. 

Not that I expected a confession, but he was given two opportunities by the judge to tell the truth before sentencing and Alex repeated the same lie, that he would never hurt Maggie or Paul. 

The judge of course already knew he was going to give Alex two life sentences, but when he repeated the lie, I could see a flicker of anger spread across the judge's face, rightly so. 

Another interesting thing was even though the prosecution chose not to seek the death penalty, the judge reminded Alex that his family, in a prosecutorial role, had put people to death for less.

Now, for the 99 other charges against him...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackiejenny, I was just listening to a panel on Fox after the sentencing  proceedings, there is a well known Charlotte attorney Trey Gowdey that said he knows the judge well, infact his daughter clerked for him at one time. He feels in giving the defendant 2 chances at sentencing to fess up but kept up his denial was the reason he gave Murdaugh consecutive sentences vs. concurrant. 

Another thing he said was that Judge Newman lost a son just this past Jan. 7th this year from a blood clot in his heart so he believes losing a son is most painful at this time ( tho nothing to do with sentencing).

Broke my heart.  Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

@jackiejenny, I was just listening to a panel on Fox after the sentencing  proceedings, there is a well known Charlotte attorney Trey Gowdey that said he knows the judge well, infact his daughter clerked for him at one time. He feels in giving the defendant 2 chances to fess up but kept up his denial was the reason he gave Murdaugh consecutive sentences vs. concurrant. 

Another thing he said was that Judge Newman lost a son just this past Jan. 7th this year from a blood clot in his heart so he believes losing a son is most painful at this time ( tho nothing to do with sentencing).

Broke my heart.  Smiley Sad

I LOVE Trey Gowdy! He is a rock star attorney to me, filled with honesty and integrity. 

That makes PERFECT sense and fits with the expression I saw on the judge's face. 

I knew about Judge Newman losing his son this past January and all throughout the trial, I couldn't imagine the pain he personally was going through. Here he loses his son and Alex murders his. I am right there with you...broke my heart too. 

Thanks for the TG info!

Respected Contributor

@jackiejenny, Yes, Trey Gowdy is a sweetheart, he is such a proper, most polite man. 

I saw him on an old episode (rerun) of In The Heat Of The Night playing  what else, a prosecutor!!  It shocked me!   Smiley Very Happy