Respected Contributor

Re: There are people still in the Keys

they are members of the Conch Republic

Honored Contributor

I've never been in an emergency situation, and I would hope I would make wise and prudent decisions. I refuse to judge people who are facing a situation that I never have. I pray for them all. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't have to go to Alabama or Tennessee to evacuate.  There are many shelters open.  

If you leave a structure that may be unsafe for a safer place; you have evacuated!

It's really not that difficult!

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Yes, I saw on the News some who anchored their boats between bushes at the piers and were planning on staying with their boats, as they felt they would be protected and secure there....Amazing!

I also saw a very touching story of a man with his dog who tried to get a flight out but he didn't have a carrier for his dog so they wouldn't allow him on the plane...He went to pet stores to try and get one but they were all sold out.....He then made the decision to go back to his home with his precious dog and they would ride it out together.

All kinds of stories that really touch your heart and we can only pray and send positive thoughts that they will make it through this.

It has been reported that most have heeded the dire warnings and have left, so I think it is a small percentage who have made the decision to stay for various reasons.

@MyShadowLove  I saw that story, too.  He said he'd been to ten different stores looking for a crate.  There must have been a run on them when the news of the hurricane came out.  I felt sorry for him having to go home.  I hope he and his dog went to a shelter.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is contentious

Honored Contributor

I saw on CNN this morning that the guy they interviewed who was staying on his boat in Key West ended up going to a shelter this morning.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Florida has many farms.  It's not easy to round up your cattle and horses and leave.  Many stay behind to protect their animals.  I understand,

That was my first though too....what about all the critters? Pets, farm animals, wild things.....too much scary to think about.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you Key West is very much a place onto itself, it is as much as party town as New Orleans.

I can see the bars on Duval Street shuttering their doors with patrons inside drinking to their fill

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

they are members of the Conch Republic

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Then there's the guy who is going to stay on his boat. Seriously? Also a guy staying on a small island hooked to mainland by a causeway. Refuses to leave, regardless of all warnings. He's a real estate agent. There's also a guy on the 9th floor of a condo who won't leave. Can't remember where, but the storm is so unpredictable, who knows where it will turn next. The ones I feel bad for are those in the poorer areas of Florida who don't have cars and don't have the means to leave. I hope they can get to shelters. 

@RainCityWomanlistening to the governor the last few days, there is a number to call to help with evacuation to a shelter - buses are available, etc.  and they are opening new shelters all the time. i don't think there is a good reason - except making a personal choice.

Esteemed Contributor

Many years ago, there was an old codger who refused to leave his home despite warnings that Mt. St. Helens was about to erupt. I think his name was actually Harry Truman. I don't know if they ever found his body, or what was left of it. Sometimes people can be very foolishly stubborn. If they want to kill themselves, so be it. However, first responders should not have to risk their lives to rescue these loons. This hurricane is nothing to fool with. My mother in law was stuck in South Florida during Hurricane Andrew. It was a terrifying experience and she was never the same afterwards. She died a little more than a year later.