Respected Contributor

There are people still in the Keys

Really, read an article this morning that this woman says she was born and raised here and she's not leaving.

I still cannot believe people do not heed the warnings

Respected Contributor

Re: There are people still in the Keys

There will be many fatalities, unfortunately. 

Respected Contributor

People are free to make whatever decisions they want.  Hope no innocent people die trying to save them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been watching the Key West Harborcam and saw some guy walking onto..I guess it's a pier of sorts and then walking back, the cam zoomed in on him and looked like he had to scoot around some locked gates to leave the area. The wind is really whipping there now. Early this morning you could still hear the normal waves rolling in, well I think it was normal because it was the same yesterday, but that sound is drowned out now by the wind. As the cam scans it shows a couple of streets, don't know if it's the business district or what but saw one pick-up driving down one of them a little while ago but other than those two sightings it's looks deserted.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling, there are always hold outs...there are always people who stay on Hatteras after evacuations have been ordered.....why do they stay????

We are staying put here-DH is essential personnel....I didn't want to leave him. We aren't under evacuation orders.....

It's scary.

We made it through Charley....after being a basket case all week, I'm at peace.

I have a knitting, crochet and weaving addiction. I am untangling a skein of yarn that one of my pups got to....a pleasant distraction for this minute.

We are ready.....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

i think a lot of the people are staying due to the shortage of gas down the road and also the traffic jams. The traffic is backed up for nine hours in a lot of places and people feel like they would be safer in a building that has boarded windows and sand bags than in a vehicle that could get washed away or blown over. It would be a really bad position to be in. My heart and prayers go out to all them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I saw on the News some who anchored their boats between bushes at the piers and were planning on staying with their boats, as they felt they would be protected and secure there....Amazing!

I also saw a very touching story of a man with his dog who tried to get a flight out but he didn't have a carrier for his dog so they wouldn't allow him on the plane...He went to pet stores to try and get one but they were all sold out.....He then made the decision to go back to his home with his precious dog and they would ride it out together.

All kinds of stories that really touch your heart and we can only pray and send positive thoughts that they will make it through this.

It has been reported that most have heeded the dire warnings and have left, so I think it is a small percentage who have made the decision to stay for various reasons.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Florida has many farms.  It's not easy to round up your cattle and horses and leave.  Many stay behind to protect their animals.  I understand,

Respected Contributor

I imagine they stay so they can be there (if they survive) when it's over. If the bridges get wiped out to the Keys they have no way back to their house. Maybe a boat.

Esteemed Contributor

Then there's the guy who is going to stay on his boat. Seriously? Also a guy staying on a small island hooked to mainland by a causeway. Refuses to leave, regardless of all warnings. He's a real estate agent. There's also a guy on the 9th floor of a condo who won't leave. Can't remember where, but the storm is so unpredictable, who knows where it will turn next. The ones I feel bad for are those in the poorer areas of Florida who don't have cars and don't have the means to leave. I hope they can get to shelters.