Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,381
Registered: ‎04-04-2015

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

It was just announced that the Federal government will pay for all the expenses the City and State have incurred as well as all future expenses related to the search and rescue and assistance to victims.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,365
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: There are now 18 known victims.


@Isobel Archer wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

Has anyone read the first lawsuit filed by a Champlain resident? She describes what happened that night and it is frightening. She and a couple of residents, including an elderly woman and a child with a dog, escaped through a second floor apartment balcony. What those people who survived the initial collapse must have gone through is the stuff of nightmares.


Who is she suing?  If - as we are hearing - the structural problems were well known for at least 3 years - and the residents fought the board over paying for repair - then who is at "fault?"  And who is supposed to pay?

 

Now I could see a renter suing the owner for failure to maintain the property - there may be some of that.

 

I'm also wondering if insurance will pay if the residents refused to repair the structural problems.


@Isobel Archer  This is very interesting. I didn't know the tenants refused to pay the repairs. Whole different picture now appearing. Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,955
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

[ Edited ]

I can't imagine all condo owners refused to pay for repairs.  I hope it's in the board's documentation showing who refused.  Was a vote taken?

 

That is key.

 

And also proof that indeed the dire nature of these much needed repair was explained in writing to owners.

 

I can't imagine how the occupants of the sister building feel now.  Have they been evacuated?  All that real estate is now worthless till something new is built.  Will insurance pay for the people to relocate and rebuild, I wonder?

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,381
Registered: ‎04-04-2015

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

Oh I'm sure now all the condo owners will insist that they were perfectly willing to pay for the repairs and that it's all the board's fault that the repairs weren't made 3 years ago.

 

However, apparently it was very contentious with many upset over the cost and arguing went on for quite awhile.  

 

According to the Washington Post, there are records - including a letter signed by residents (so are they liable?) questioning the need and the cost etc - AFTER it was finally decided by the board to go ahead with the repairs.  So I don't know if the board ever had the authority to just do it and assess everyone regardless of their opposition or just what their rules were.

 

It's a big mess and I have no idea how it will end up.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,168
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

And now they think the North tower, that did not collapse, is unstable so they have halter the rescue work until they can shore up the North tower so it does not threaten the workers. I hope everyone who lived there has safely moved away to a safe area.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: There are now 18 known victims.


@Isobel Archer wrote:

It was just announced that the Federal government will pay for all the expenses the City and State have incurred as well as all future expenses related to the search and rescue and assistance to victims.


Weren't there some kind of heavy equipment up on the roof of this building months before the collapse.  Maybe they were trying to fix it.  I can't imagine no one wanting to fix it and expecting to continue to live there or even sell it if it was in such bad shape.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,510
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

Has anyone read the first lawsuit filed by a Champlain resident? She describes what happened that night and it is frightening. She and a couple of residents, including an elderly woman and a child with a dog, escaped through a second floor apartment balcony. What those people who survived the initial collapse must have gone through is the stuff of nightmares.


Who is she suing?  If - as we are hearing - the structural problems were well known for at least 3 years - and the residents fought the board over paying for repair - then who is at "fault?"  And who is supposed to pay?

 

Now I could see a renter suing the owner for failure to maintain the property - there may be some of that.

 

I'm also wondering if insurance will pay if the residents refused to repair the structural problems.


@Isobel Archer @From what I've read so far, the lawsuits filed so far are suing the condo association. The association would have liability insurance. I've only looked into this for a short time so my answer is not definite until I find out more. I am also wondering what the casualty insurance company will do when it comes to payout for the damaged building. I wonder if the casualty insurance company will cancel the policy for the sister building when the policy is up for renewal. I wonder what the insurers for individual units with content insurance will do about pay outs. The news agencies here have not reported on this aspect of the story yet. Pretty sure that journalists are looking into it though. According to value penguin . com:

 

"A condo association's insurance policy typically covers:

  • Exterior of the building and condo.
  • Land the condos are located on.
  • Damage in common areas, such as pools, hallways and lobbies.
  • Liability in case someone is injured on the property or in certain common areas.
  • Shared amenities and equipment, such as elevators and other building systems.

In some cases, condo associations have much more extensive insurance policies, which can include coverage for fixtures and structural components inside your condo as well. Therefore, we recommend confirming what's included in your condo association's policy before purchasing your own coverage."

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,365
Registered: ‎05-01-2010

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I can't imagine all condo owners refused to pay for repairs.  I hope it's in the board's documentation showing who refused.  Was a vote taken?

 

That is key.

 

And also proof that indeed the dire nature of these much needed repair was explained in writing to owners.

 

I can't imagine how the occupants of the sister building feel now.  Have they been evacuated?  All that real estate is now worthless till something new is built.  Will insurance pay for the people to relocate and rebuild, I wonder?

 


@Lucky Charm  I read of one condo owner who took out an $80,000 loan for his share in repairs. It was due July 1.

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,757
Registered: ‎09-06-2014

Re: There are now 18 known victims.

I am thankful some people can have closure with these victims

 

being found.  May they rest in peace. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,495
Registered: ‎04-20-2013

Re: There are now 18 known victims.


@Mindy D wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

It is sad that probably MOST family members will not be able to have a body Recovered of their loved ones killed in this tragedy for a funeral or memorial service. very sad.


Why not? This isn't like WTC with jet fuel fires. I think and hope they will just for being able to move to the next step of grief.


@LizzieInSRQ - a pancake collapse such as this may have pulverized the person but they may get remains.  It is hard to move on unless they have some sort of closure.  It's so sad especially when you hear about the children 


@Stray @I couldn't think of the word pulverize. Thanks. They have already obtained some of these small remains. Officials mentioned this only one time. I guess they don't want to upset  people by speaking of this yet. The officials did not describe these remains. Certainly, the cadaver dogs will be able to find any partial remains, even among the relocated debris piles. They have not begun to use cadaver dogs yet. 


@Mindy D - it reminds me so much of the WTC: my friend lost her ownly child there & she was a single mom of a two year old.  She would not have a memorial service for a long time.  There was no hope her child survived but she just had no closure.  Over a year later she received a call from the medical examiners office that remains were identified and then, she finally had a service.  It's just heartbreaking for people when they can't give up hope until there is none.  The work is tedious and I remember seeing people straining the debri with sieves for a long time.  Some families may have to wait an unbearable period of time for an answer.  I know there is no hope at this point, but I had a friend who worked at WTC and she took some time off and was at Cape Cod.  We kept trying to contact her and she didn't answer so we assumed the worst.  But, later she responded and we were so happy.  I wish for that kind of story that maybe family members were just out of touch & will just show up but chances are remote of that happening