Honored Contributor

Re: There Is Something We Could Do

brii wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

With all due respect, I just have to say one thing (because it's true!) - Religion doesn't = morality.   Non-religious people are highly moral, too.  Nothing is an absolute, obviously.   But I just don't like seeing this kind of talk that would imply that the lack of religion makes one immoral.

Of course, I'm not saying that all religious people are immoral.  I'm simply stating that religion does NOT equal morality.   While I am not challenging anybody's right to believe whatever they want to believe, religion does a LOT more damage than good.  This has proven itself over and over for centuries.

As for the OP - ITA that there is so much, in this regard, that we can do.  For every person who doesn't distribute, or buy into, the hate, the world is a better place.

brii wrote:

The moral fiber of our country is broken.  We have record numbers of people turning away from organized religion.  There is a callous disregard for our fellow man.

I agree.  I didn't mean to imply that people who are not religous are not moral.  Poorly worded on my part. 

Heart

Thanks, Brii.  I didn't want to seem like I was attacking you, or your words but I appreciate that you understood what I was saying.  

After I posted here I had to go do some things, so I didn't want you to think I just did a hit-n-run.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, CB.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@baker wrote:

We all create our own enviornment so if you spew hate that's probably what you will get back.

I'm more worried about those who drink in the spew, grow to hate others like women or those of another ethnic or religious group or lifestyle.

I don't think you can do much about that, if people can't control their feelings and behavior then they suffer the consequences. I don't like a lot of what some people, politicians and religious figures do and say, but I know enough to keep my mouth shut in mixed company. It's hard enough on this benign little board to get your thoughts across without being called a hater, people want you to agree with them.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@NoelSeven 

I totally agree with you, and thanks for starting this thread.

While I know this will sound so Polly Anna-ish, these words of JFK have frequently colored my actions:  

"A person can change the world, a person has to."

(and yes, I am aware of his faults)

No positive can come of saying 'well, it's everywhere' or similar defeating comment.  

A tiny example ~ those of us who refused to purchase, caged, hormone and antibiotic stuffed chickens created a whole new booming market niche.  

Something to think about for sure.

Wonderful comments, Drythe, and I agree with you!

You are so right about those of us who refused to purchance those chickens.  The inhumane treatment by and large has stopped.

TY @NoelSeven

I think another way to put your original premis is "Vote with your feet" ~ just to be clear I'm NOT talking about the voting booth, although that is important.  I'm talking about doing business with people whose values you respect, whose business practices, etc. are in line with yours.

Thanks for understanding my chicken example!  I actually meant to say eggs 'cause I don't eat meat, but of course the chicken, the egg, same same. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Just using the following few word/phrases stirs up unwarranted emotions and very, very ugly disgusting discriptions within many poster....very ironically many posters within this thread:

-) Kardashians

-) Duggars

-) Jane Fonda

-) Paula Deen

-) Kathy Griffin

-) Miley Cyrus

Hate has to come from somewhere.  Yes, we might think our micro-mini world of QVC forum is innocent since we gossip talk alot about the Hollywood types but we have a lot of under-current hate...which perpetuates in other Internet forums.  Some posters might think that's silly...but greater than zero chance those are the posters which I reference above.

@sidsmom, you forgot Shawn, Susan, Jill, etc., etc., etc. I understand that most who denigrate others do so because it in some way elevates them in their own mind. Sad. Being kind to others brings its own reward, I wish more people could experience that joy, it would generate a lot more kindness in the world.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

NoelSeven:  Are you unaware that "hate talk" or "hate speech" is in the eye of the beholder?  Actually, in the USA we don't have hate speech or hate talk.  It is unconstitutional.  Our First Amendment protects political speech and opinion along with a lot of other speech.  That's good because you, me, and Aunt Tillie should be able to speak our minds regardless of whether you, me, or Aunt Tillie agree with each other.  Other countries, including Canada and England, don't have a First Amendment and actually prosecute people for saying things that the government deems unacceptable (which depends on who was elected).  I'd take our system any day of the week.  Long live the Bill of Rights!

Honored Contributor

I rarely watch tv anymore for news because of MOST stations slant. 

(References made here about ALL radio stations and some television news....)

Well, for me ALL the rest is the exact opposite of how I feel.  But I don't even watch or listen to what 'side' I'm on. 

No one gets the privilege to report anything to me!

I turn it off quicker than QVC costume jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I completely agree w/Ms.X who said it so eloquently.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much, Maestra!  This is a very important issue.  Americans must be able to speak freely, including you, me, and NoelSeven.