Honored Contributor

Re: There Is Something We Could Do

@brii wrote:

There is a whole underground of hate on the internet. 

It's impossible to control.

This board is an example and it is mild here in comparrison to unmodified sites.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@brii wrote:

This board is an example and it is mild here in comparrison to unmodified sites.

This board is not a hate site.

I am talking about internet chat rooms and other internet sites that spell out how to accomplish horrible, horrible things which only incite unstable people.

Honored Contributor

I love this phrase.  It sounds simple on the face of it.  I think Gandhi knew that it does take practice.  Intentions will get you started, and practicing what you intend will carry you further.

For example, in the case of the driver who cuts in front of you, it's kind of like that "muscle memory" we've all heard of, only this time it is less a matter of physical practice than mental practice.  Or, in other words, creating your own automatic reaction (positive) instead of reverting to the one that might have been typical (negative).  

If you are already practicing the habits you are happy with, then kudos to you!   You are well on the way to being part of the 100th monkey effect.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I love this phrase.  It sounds simple on the face of it.  I think Gandhi knew that it does take practice.  Intentions will get you started, and practicing what you intend will carry you further.

For example, in the case of the driver who cuts in front of you, it's kind of like that "muscle memory" we've all heard of, only this time it is less a matter of physical practice than mental practice.  Or, in other words, creating your own automatic reaction (positive) instead of reverting to the one that might have been typical (negative).  

If you are already practicing the habits you are happy with, then kudos to you!   You are well on the way to being part of the 100th monkey effect.

I LOVE this quote!

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@brii wrote:

This board is nothing like what we're talking about.  Here, we do not see the raging hate and threats toward other religions and people of a different lifestyle that plaster other sites and talk radio.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

YES!  'Supply and Demand'.  I was 'brainwashed' to think this way.  Follow the money, it speaks volumes.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We all create our own enviornment so if you spew hate that's probably what you will get back.

Honored Contributor

@baker wrote:

We all create our own enviornment so if you spew hate that's probably what you will get back.

I'm more worried about those who drink in the spew, grow to hate others like women or those of another ethnic or religious group or lifestyle.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@brii wrote:

This board is not a hate site.

I am talking about internet chat rooms and other internet sites that spell out how to accomplish horrible, horrible things which only incite unstable people.

Just using the following few word/phrases stirs up unwarranted emotions and very, very ugly disgusting discriptions within many poster....very ironically many posters within this thread:

-) Kardashians

-) Duggars

-) Jane Fonda

-) Paula Deen

-) Kathy Griffin

-) Miley Cyrus

Hate has to come from somewhere.  Yes, we might think our micro-mini world of QVC forum is innocent since we gossip talk alot about the Hollywood types but we have a lot of under-current hate...which perpetuates in other Internet forums.  Some posters might think that's silly...but greater than zero chance those are the posters which I reference above.

Frequent Contributor

I believe bad behaviour is  a learned behaviour. We can only control ourselves and set higher standards for those around us, we must teach others through our actions just think of the amounts of people we interact with each day! There will always be bad behaviour and bad people.  I  think we need to check ourselves before we expect more from others. One step leads to a million miles. Do your part , live kindness ,speak kindness, do kindness. See the world through diffrent eyes , practice compassion. Demanding something is   telling someone they have to do it, comes across as force.....  Live well.....Maryanne