Frequent Contributor

Re: There Is Something We Could Do

We really have very little power to change anyone unless they want to be changed.  The best we can do is to work on ourselves to focus on the positive, be as kind as possible to other living creatures and give each other a break.  You can never understand why someone else does something unless you've walked in their shoes.

Honored Contributor

The moral fiber of our country is broken.  We have record numbers of people turning away from organized religion.  There is a callous disregard for our fellow man.

Honored Contributor

With all due respect, I just have to say one thing (because it's true!) - Religion doesn't = morality.   Non-religious people are highly moral, too.  Nothing is an absolute, obviously.   But I just don't like seeing this kind of talk that would imply that the lack of religion makes one immoral.

Of course, I'm not saying that all religious people are immoral.  I'm simply stating that religion does NOT equal morality.   While I am not challenging anybody's right to believe whatever they want to believe, religion does a LOT more damage than good.  This has proven itself over and over for centuries.

As for the OP - ITA that there is so much, in this regard, that we can do.  For every person who doesn't distribute, or buy into, the hate, the world is a better place.

brii wrote:

The moral fiber of our country is broken.  We have record numbers of people turning away from organized religion.  There is a callous disregard for our fellow man.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

With all due respect, I just have to say one thing (because it's true!) - Religion doesn't = morality.   Non-religious people are highly moral, too.  Nothing is an absolute, obviously.   But I just don't like seeing this kind of talk that would imply that the lack of religion makes one immoral.

Of course, I'm not saying that all religious people are immoral.  I'm simply stating that religion does NOT equal morality.   While I am not challenging anybody's right to believe whatever they want to believe, religion does a LOT more damage than good.  This has proven itself over and over for centuries.

As for the OP - ITA that there is so much, in this regard, that we can do.  For every person who doesn't distribute, or buy into, the hate, the world is a better place.

@brii wrote:

I agree.  I didn't mean to imply that people who are not religous are not moral.  Poorly worded on my part. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mactective wrote:

We really have very little power to change anyone unless they want to be changed.  The best we can do is to work on ourselves to focus on the positive, be as kind as possible to other living creatures and give each other a break.  You can never understand why someone else does something unless you've walked in their shoes.

This makes sense to me.  I belong to a discussion group whose members are representative of the entire spectrum of political thought.  I don't agree with some members' beliefs, but I certainly don't "hate" them for those beliefs, nor do I wish to change their minds. The beliefs that differ from my own have opened my eyes to many new experiences.  We all came to our beliefs through a variety of backgrounds.  We act upon our beliefs at the ballot box.  It makes for some thought-provoking, yet always civil, conversation.  Civility is the first rule of participation.  And there have been past members who chose to leave when the rules became to restrictive for their participation.    

Honored Contributor

@Mactective wrote:

We can change the 24/7 radio hate talk by coming out against it and not supporting companies that advertise on the worst of the worst. 

Same thing if it comes by way of other public media.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

And we could start today.

There is a daily drone of hate talk in this country.  Uncontrolled anger, we even hear it from our some of our leaders and from a few who want to lead.

It's all over the radio, some TV and on the Internet.

We could turn it off and demand that it stop.  Boycott product supporters of certain outlets.  

@NoelSeven 

I totally agree with you, and thanks for starting this thread.

While I know this will sound so Polly Anna-ish, these words of JFK have frequently colored my actions:  

"A person can change the world, a person has to."

(and yes, I am aware of his faults)

No positive can come of saying 'well, it's everywhere' or similar defeating comment.  

A tiny example ~ those of us who refused to purchase, caged, hormone and antibiotic stuffed chickens created a whole new booming market niche.  

Something to think about for sure.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

That's true, we see it every day. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@brii wrote:

I agree with you, CB.  There are other reasons people are turning away from some organized religion, but that would be a different subject and one that gets taken down every time.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven 

I totally agree with you, and thanks for starting this thread.

While I know this will sound so Polly Anna-ish, these words of JFK have frequently colored my actions:  

"A person can change the world, a person has to."

(and yes, I am aware of his faults)

No positive can come of saying 'well, it's everywhere' or similar defeating comment.  

A tiny example ~ those of us who refused to purchase, caged, hormone and antibiotic stuffed chickens created a whole new booming market niche.  

Something to think about for sure.

Wonderful comments, Drythe, and I agree with you!

You are so right about those of us who refused to purchance those chickens.  The inhumane treatment by and large has stopped.