Trusted Contributor

Re: Therapy pets - I am getting on my soap box

@151949wrote:

@dexwrote:

We were on a flight where a couple had a puppy in a crate but the puppy was not happy about it.That poor dog howled the whole trip but the air personnel would not let the couple take it out of the cage.They said yhey had medicated the dog but it had the reverse affect.Some passengers were getting really irate and I was worried that we would have an incident.Thankfully the flight was only four hours and people behaved themselves as best they could.

Wouldn't you think if someone was going to take a pet on a plane and stuff them under that seat as they are required to do- they would at least take the dog to the vet and get some mild sedation for the poor animal? I mean, if you love this dog so much that you can't be parted from it, at least be kind enough to it to give it something so it sleeps thru this frightening experience.

@151949 Actually, no.  Before I flew with my dog for the first time, I consulted my vet who informed me that sedating your dog for air travel is potentially dangerous.  The issue has something to do with their respiratory system as well as their need to be alert to adjust their inner ear because of the cabin pressure.

Respected Contributor

I have read only the first couple of posts here so this may have already been mentioned.  Not too long ago I saw an article about someone entering LaGuardia I think it was, with their comfort peacock.  Thankfully, the airline refused to let the bird on board.   You all know how big a peacock is.  I don't know if I've ever been on board a plane with a comfort animal or not but for anyone to think they're going to allow a big peacock loose on a plane has got to be a little nuts.  Or plain just thinking they're going to abuse the system and get away with it.  And thank God someone at the airline in question had some common sense.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak, here is said comfort peacock.  crazy huh?

See the source image
Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@Suziepeachwrote:

@Tyak, here is said comfort peacock.  crazy huh?

See the source image

Can you imagine anyone thinking that that big thing is going to be allowed on a plane full of people.  The person needing this bird as a comfort  must have left their brain at home thinking this was going to happen.  Beautiful bird but it doesn't belong in the cabin of a plane.  

Honored Contributor

@Tyak, can' imagine why they thought it would even be allowed or considered.  Goes beyond a duh moment to me, LOL.  Poor thing taking a number 2 onboard, talk about nasty!  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

At my supermarket today, a woman was shopping with a little poodle on a leash. I can assume only that it was a comfort dog.

I saw the dog jump up in the dairy section and heard the dog bark several times.

I surely hope that the woman derived a great deal of comfort, but I can't imagine if we all took our dogs, who give us much comfort, to the market.

Yes, I am one who loves my pets but does not think that they are human.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@qbetzforrealwrote:

@sol_lunawrote:

@riley1wrote:

I'll add one more thing to my post. I'd rather be on a plane/ship with a four-legged furry than listen to a screaming child any day.

Friend just traveled to England and there was a child that screamed from Dulles to England. 

Totally agree. I would also rather sit next to a four-legged furry than sitting next to someone who is obese.

wow

Wow is right. Talk about a really rude and uncalled for statement.

@151949, triple wow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

"Emotional support animals" aka pets....anything to save money on a flight. 

Super Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

@151949wrote:

@qbetzforrealwrote:

@sol_lunawrote:

@riley1wrote:

I'll add one more thing to my post. I'd rather be on a plane/ship with a four-legged furry than listen to a screaming child any day.

Friend just traveled to England and there was a child that screamed from Dulles to England. 

Totally agree. I would also rather sit next to a four-legged furry than sitting next to someone who is obese.

wow

Wow is right. Talk about a really rude and uncalled for statement.

@151949, triple wow.

Cat IndifferentCat IndifferentCat Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@151949.   No, the service and emotional support animals are not required to be in a carrier, just pets.  Did you hear about the person who showed up with a peacock?  She was turned away.  She'd called to ask if she could bring it, was told no but showed up with it anyway.  I hate those birds; the males are aggressive and have long spurs on their legs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment