Valued Contributor

Re: Therapy pets - I am getting on my soap box

@fortune, lol - a therapy snake will give me a hug and a heart attack all at the same time!  Many years ago we went to a fireworks display on the 4th of July.  It was still light when we got there and while I was standing there I felt something "tickle" my face.  I swatted my cheek and turned my head to see a teenage boy with a boa constrictor wrapped around him standing right next to me.  What "tickled" my face was that hideous snake's tongue. I think you could hear me scream from NY to California.  Yikes.

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2wrote:

@fortune, lol - a therapy snake will give me a hug and a heart attack all at the same time!  Many years ago we went to a fireworks display on the 4th of July.  It was still light when we got there and while I was standing there I felt something "tickle" my face.  I swatted my cheek and turned my head to see a teenage boy with a boa constrictor wrapped around him standing right next to me.  What "tickled" my face was that hideous snake's tongue. I think you could hear me scream from NY to California.  Yikes.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2

OMG!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom I kid you not, an ox was the first animal on the list of animals!  Of course, it would have to be "domesticated" to qualify.  Now how in the world would one go about doing that I wonder lol.  "Here oxie ox, come to Mama - what a good boy you are".  As for the bathroom thing - maybe you would use a litter box - a really, really, really big litter box.Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune - My GF used to have a couple of Grand Marniers before we boarded - so no judgement here, lol.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

This issue is a well-worn topic in the news.

Yes, we’ve heard about a dog biting a kid recently, 

the Emotional Peacock, the girl flushing her Emotional Hamster

down the airport toilet, the Emotional Duck...and various animals.

United/Delta recently put their foot down declaring the need

for extensive documentation before boarding w/ an

Emotional Support Animal. 

There’s a paradigm shift taking place w/ ESAs...it’s slowly

becoming a thing of the past & a non-issue.  

Guarantee 5yrs from now, we won’t see any animals other

than the guide animals. 

Yeah for United/Delta!  It's about time the airlines put a stop to the "emotional support" farm animal and various poopy birds.  Everyone has known all along that this is nonsense.  In the past week, a loose dog bit a child on a Southwest flight.  Time for them to get onboard too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@riley1wrote:

I'll add one more thing to my post. I'd rather be on a plane/ship with a four-legged furry than listen to a screaming child any day.

Friend just traveled to England and there was a child that screamed from Dulles to England. 

Totally agree. I would also rather sit next to a four-legged furry than sitting next to someone who is obese.

Esteemed Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@riley1wrote:

I'll add one more thing to my post. I'd rather be on a plane/ship with a four-legged furry than listen to a screaming child any day.

Friend just traveled to England and there was a child that screamed from Dulles to England. 

Totally agree. I would also rather sit next to a four-legged furry than sitting next to someone who is obese.

wow

Super Contributor

As an ex flight attendant i can honestly say there is no need for any animals to be on a plane except for service dogs- the seats are too close to each other for people to bring their pets- pets can travel below or here's one leave them at home- this ****** about support animals is just bunk, if you are that afraid to fly then get medicated, take a class or drive- the conditions on planes now just do not allow for anything that would cause a disturbance with the passengers as tempers are flying way too high these days- airplanes are for people and these people pay alot of money to get to their destination safely and not have to ride along side a dog, a cat, a bird or some reptile- so please just leave your pets at home or put them below and be kind to the other passengers

Honored Contributor

@arizona babewrote:

As an ex flight attendant i can honestly say there is no need for any animals to be on a plane except for service dogs- the seats are too close to each other for people to bring their pets- pets can travel below or here's one leave them at home- this ****** about support animals is just bunk, if you are that afraid to fly then get medicated, take a class or drive- the conditions on planes now just do not allow for anything that would cause a disturbance with the passengers as tempers are flying way too high these days- airplanes are for people and these people pay alot of money to get to their destination safely and not have to ride along side a dog, a cat, a bird or some reptile- so please just leave your pets at home or put them below and be kind to the other passengers

@arizona babe

I understand your feelings on animals in planes but your take on support/service dogs is all wrong.  Many of our veterans and others with PTSD have been rescued from suicide by their dogs.  They are not pets, they are working animals and are legally protected to accompany their person on a plane.

New Contributor

Ok, just a heads up A Therapy Dog has no legal rights to go onto a plane. A therapy dog is trained and certified to do visits to schools, hosiptals, libraries and places like that. As for being on a plane, NO.

Emotional Support dogs, need nothing more than a doctor signing off stating that for your emotional needs you need your pet. They need no formal training whatsoever. People had this label put on animals so they can fly for free. There are many people that truly need these animals, others no so much.

Service dogs receive extensive training, and do provide a service. Think of companion dog that turns on lights, gets the phone for someone, and helps them with their everyday life because of their disablitity.