Valued Contributor

Personally, I think the remote work is causing this. I have two family members who are working remotely because their company has not opened yet. One, my son, was hired by a company in NJ but he lives in Florida. A lot of places are not having their full staff back.

I feel for you as I would be upset. I would express my feelings to the therapist directly. No need to bring it into the workplace. You have the right and its part of you dealing with those who you feel are not treating you fairly. Frankly, she is fitting the picture. Her behavior is unprofessional. It should be confronted and is a part of you deciding your future and your job. You have the right to be treated in a professional manner.

Remote work is not working well. It should be enforced by the company they work from.

One of my family members is watching tv while dealing with clients on the phone. He mutes the tv, but I feel should be sitting in a quiet space. If the doorbell rings, if a person does't know he's on the phone and speaks to him, if the dog starts barking...not a good image.

For your own mental health, you need to confront her about how you are feeling about her professionalism and your privacy. It would be a positive for your mental health and ability to make decisions about your future.

Good luck!

Super Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

Personally, I think the remote work is causing this. I have two family members who are working remotely because their company has not opened yet. One, my son, was hired by a company in NJ but he lives in Florida. A lot of places are not having their full staff back.

I feel for you as I would be upset. I would express my feelings to the therapist directly. No need to bring it into the workplace. You have the right and its part of you dealing with those who you feel are not treating you fairly. Frankly, she is fitting the picture. Her behavior is unprofessional. It should be confronted and is a part of you deciding your future and your job. You have the right to be treated in a professional manner.

Remote work is not working well. It should be enforced by the company they work from.

One of my family members is watching tv while dealing with clients on the phone. He mutes the tv, but I feel should be sitting in a quiet space. If the doorbell rings, if a person does't know he's on the phone and speaks to him, if the dog starts barking...not a good image.

For your own mental health, you need to confront her about how you are feeling about her professionalism and your privacy. It would be a positive for your mental health and ability to make decisions about your future.

Good luck!

That's a whole other issue.   I only get 1 remote day.   People higher than me get more.   I go to work physically 4 days a week where people in the bldg don't wear masks, 2 people in my office are unvaccinated.  I go nowhere, just work, grocery store and home.  I haven't been to a restaurant since 2019 nor have I gone to the mall or a TJ Maxx type store since 2019.   Yet, the ones that travel to Mexico for the weekend or go to concerts and games, they get to take more remote days. 

Actually, the one remote day I do get, is so relaxing for me.  I do work, but just to not have to be around my boss, be able to not have to rush to get ready for work is really helpful for my mental well-being.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Therapist Issue

[ Edited ]

@Ladygray wrote:

@tipsy wrote:

Very unprofessional & she has to be distracted from focusing all her attention on you when she is out running errands or washing dishes, etc.

Can't you both wear masks for in-person meetings?

She isn't seeing patients in her office right now. 

@tipsy 

@Ladygray

Maybe she is not seeing patients in person so she can "multi task" and take advantage of the situation. Too bad it hasn't worked out for you.

Trusted Contributor

Please give this woman the opportunity to explain. You don't know if she's shopping or washing dishes or taking your call sitting outside near the ocean. It could be many things. But you will never know until you ask her.

Tell her what you've told us. And make sure she knows the lateness and your perception that she's doing other things while in your session, makes you feel disrespected.

Any therapist worth her salt wants clients who are completely honest. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladygray wrote:

I'm 60.   It's not easy to find another job.   Plus I have a good pension from where I work that I never had before. 

I wish it were that easy to go find another job.   Right now, it's not for me.  I support myself.

You don't know me well enough to know if I have self esteem issues.  Just because I'm treated like ****** from my boss, doesn't mean it's because of me.

@Ladygray

Please forgive me, does someone want your job. This smells like a serious workplace problem. This is not your fault. If you insurance will pay for a therapist find one on your own. 

Please remember  an HR department works for a company and not for the worker. 

I took early retirement 20 years ago. I made the best decision for myself . My boss was the problem, and she was not going to stop. I left the scene and protected my health and pension.

I am not suggesting you leave your job. I don't know you or situation. 

I do hope you do a find good psychologist. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladygray  

This therapist seems to have ruined the theraputic relationship.  If you can't find a new job, please find a new therapist.  Why would you want to stay with someone who is obviously distracted and not focusing on you 100%, especially when she knew from the get go that lack of respect is a core issue for you?  

I doubt you'll benefit  from questioning her about her tardiness, lack of professionalism or her cheating the insurance company.

I would find someone you can see in person.  In person or video (which you say you can't do) is the only way to know they're fully focused on your care.

Eta- I saw a therapist briefly during the pandemic and she had no problem with me wanting to know their vaccination status.  She even offered to show me her vaccination card as proof.  She always wore a mask.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ladygray @This is a tough one. The principal thing is that she is helping you with her advice. I would not want to lose that. Perhaps you could think of a tactful way of mentioning the lateness issue, especially because it's happened quite a few times. Preface this by saying how much she is helping you. I'd leave out the shopping for right now. Start with just one issue. Don't say the word unprofessional, either. She knows  it's unprofessional. Just say late and you could mention the number of times. Remember too, that there is a pandemic and she might be juggling home work time with other home responsibilities. Something she would not have to do if she was back in the office. To reiterate, stick with the lateness issue and emphasize how much she is helping you. 

Sorry for my many typos. 

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

It's not easy to find a good therapist who you will click with.  Just beacuse she many have a stellar background and qualifications does NOT mean that she is the right therapist for you!

If you can't meet in person, why not try zoom or telehealth?...some kind of video conference.  This way she would have to focus on you.  You can say that you just feel more comfortable than simply talking on the phone.  Otherwise it's time for a change.

I don't have a camera or video capabilities on my computer.

video cams are cheap

if she sounds busy,   "sounds like you are involved in something, do you want to call back when you are finished"?

Honored Contributor

If it were me I would not continue to work where it caused me to need a therapist.

However, I would flat out ask her if she is doing "double" duty and if she is tell her how you feel.  After all she is a therapist.

@Ladygray 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If my therapist had a GrubHub side hustle while she was supposed to be devoting her time and attention to me 100% I know me well enough to know I would walk away.

But if you feel your relationship is worth salvaging I would begin your next session by saying you need to get something off your chest that has been bothering you--how it upsets you when your sessions are not conducted in a timely manner and re-evaluate after she responds to your concerns.