Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,474
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@Mindy D wrote:

I was just reading Google News and there was an article from today's CNN news. It is awful. I just feel unsettled and anxious after reading the article. I have a sinking feeling in my stomach. The Florida Department of Health reported 15,299 new COVID-19 cases for Saturday. This is the count for just one day. This is highest number of new cases in any state for this entire pandemic. I really don't want Florida to be in first place in this.  The test positivity rate is just as horrible. This rate can indicate how rampantly the virus is spreading. According to John Hopkins, this Sunday morning, the rate is 19.6%. Please have hope for us. 🙏🏼

 

 

 


 

My state is also having record new cases and we aren't anywhere close to other red hot states.   I had a 40 yr old friend die of covid after going to 'just one' party.  About 30% of people here wear masks when out so I'm not surprised we are having record cases and deaths.

Super Contributor
Posts: 489
Registered: ‎07-26-2017

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.

There is much more testing so of course the numbers are going up.  Look at real statistics and you will see a high majority that test positive are asymptomatic.

 

The fear that is being pushed through the media is the worst news.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@SunSprite wrote:

@Drythe @Linmo  

 

Bless you both for trying. 

 

I read this post, as well as the other one next to it (the one that talks about false coding on death certificates and all the money the hospitals are rolling in from Covid cases)....I typed out some pretty long responses, and then changed my mind. 

 

I no longer believe people are misinformed because they don't know better; there are too many readily available resources to fact check,if people really wanted to. Instead I think people are choosing to believe what makes them feel better. Maybe they're scared, and downplaying the numbers reassures them. Whatever the reason, it's intentional. 

 

Consequently we're never going to change the point of view they've latched onto. It's a choice they are willfully making. It's only going to change when the pandemic comes home to roost. (being intentionally misinformed will just about guarantee that roosting too) 

 

And if I'm honest with myself there is a part of me that is jealous. I wish I could convince myself that things just aren't that bad; that we're being lied to left and right because of some nefarious agenda; that the counts of deaths and illnesses are inflated for some evil purpose.

It would be nice to go back to that naive mindset. I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

 

 

 

 


@SunSprite, you capsulized everything I believe about some people's reaction to this crisis.

 

Your mentioning that we can never get through to some is frighteningly true. But that won't shut me up. :-)


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,994
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@QVCalm wrote:
I am living in N Central AZ and Covid19 is spreading in this mountain section along with extreme heat and 🔥

What????  The heat was going to wipe it out, remember??  In April!!!!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,994
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@busymom22 wrote:

There is much more testing so of course the numbers are going up.  Look at real statistics and you will see a high majority that test positive are asymptomatic.

 

The fear that is being pushed through the media is the worst news.


     Please, everyone get informed.  It's not the number of cases/testing, it's the percentage of positives that is going up.  That is skyrocketing and that is bad.     And the jury is still out on how difficult or easy it is for asymptomatic carriers to infect others, so being asymptomatic really doesn't matter.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@Bridgegal wrote:

@busymom22 wrote:

There is much more testing so of course the numbers are going up.  Look at real statistics and you will see a high majority that test positive are asymptomatic.

 

The fear that is being pushed through the media is the worst news.


     Please, everyone get informed.  It's not the number of cases/testing, it's the percentage of positives that is going up.  That is skyrocketing and that is bad.     And the jury is still out on how difficult or easy it is for asymptomatic carriers to infect others, so being asymptomatic really doesn't matter.  


@Bridgegal, I'm pretty sure that most experts are very concerned about those who are asymptomatic spreading the disease.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,736
Registered: ‎02-19-2014

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@SunSprite wrote:

@Drythe @Linmo  

 

Bless you both for trying. 

 

I read this post, as well as the other one next to it (the one that talks about false coding on death certificates and all the money the hospitals are rolling in from Covid cases)....I typed out some pretty long responses, and then changed my mind. 

 

I no longer believe people are misinformed because they don't know better; there are too many readily available resources to fact check,if people really wanted to. Instead I think people are choosing to believe what makes them feel better. Maybe they're scared, and downplaying the numbers reassures them. Whatever the reason, it's intentional. 

 

Consequently we're never going to change the point of view they've latched onto. It's a choice they are willfully making. It's only going to change when the pandemic comes home to roost. (being intentionally misinformed will just about guarantee that roosting too) 

 

And if I'm honest with myself there is a part of me that is jealous. I wish I could convince myself that things just aren't that bad; that we're being lied to left and right because of some nefarious agenda; that the counts of deaths and illnesses are inflated for some evil purpose.

It would be nice to go back to that naive mindset. I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

 

 

 

 


They are making excuses for what they want to believe. If it weren't such a crucial life and death issue, I wouldn't care. But they are indirectly causing Covid to continue.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.

[ Edited ]

.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,736
Registered: ‎02-19-2014

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.


@suzyQ3 wrote:

It's looking more and more likely as if we won't be as bothered anymore by by so-called doom and gloom from at least one man.


Well everyone knows that the main cause of pregnancy is pregnancy testing.

 

(#sarcasm)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,994
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.

@suzyQ3 

 

 I think you misunderstood.  I didn't say they aren't worried.  Of course they are worried.  But if you test positive and are spreading it, being symptomatic or not doesn't change anything.