Esteemed Contributor

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.

[ Edited ]

Stay well in Florida and Arizona. My daughter and family live in a suburb south of Scottsdale, AZ. They attend (not open now, thankfully) a medium-size church more conservative than I would be comfortable attending. The message coming from the pulpit is stop fearing and stop watching the news. DD and SIL are accomplished, successful people, but this church is where their friends and neighbors attend and they're 'all in.' We're concerned for them but as parents, we can only have so much input.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

Re: The worse news for Florida so far. I had to reread the numbers because I thought I misread.

@lianne Every year is sad from the flu deaths but we don't keep a daily death count.  Not sure if you realize we have that many deaths from the flu. The deaths from Covid months ago are just being recorded which makes it look like a increase. The hospitals are full right now from people getting alternative surgery that they had to postpone because of Covid. Plus, lots more testing being done.

Lots of doctors have the science not just one doctor.  Don't forget it's a election year so lots of false information out there.  Good to look at lots of different news sources. 

Respected Contributor

@Lovemymaltese wrote:

@lianne Every year is sad from the flu deaths but we don't keep a daily death count.  Not sure if you realize we have that many deaths from the flu. The deaths from Covid months ago are just being recorded which makes it look like a increase. The hospitals are full right now from people getting alternative surgery that they had to postpone because of Covid. Plus, lots more testing being done.

Lots of doctors have the science not just one doctor.  Don't forget it's a election year so lots of false information out there.  Good to look at lots of different news sources. 

@Lovemymaltese Please do your homework.  In many states, including FL, elective surgeries are not being done right now.  Your statement about deaths from COVID months ago is also not accurate.  Lastly, the positivity rate in FL has jumped from single digits about a month ago to 20-30% depending on the county.  Testing has increased, but the positivity rate is going up exponentially.

Honored Contributor

@Lovemymaltese wrote:

@Lovemymaltese 

The Flu is Not COVID.  Comparing the deaths between the two is comparing apples 🍏 and oranges 🍊.  LOTS of doctors including the WH doctor have said this, “not just one doctor.”

Florida reports COVID19 deaths weekly.

Yep “realize there have been many deaths from flu”, like the 1918mPandemic.

The hospitals are not full of Elective surgeries.  But, even IF they were, there is a significant Up tick in the deaths from something.  Back up Morgue capacity has been ordered.

I don’t think any of us can “forget that it is an election year with lots of false

information out there.”

Yep, “it is good to look at lots of different sources.”

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@Drythe @Linmo  

Bless you both for trying. 

I read this post, as well as the other one next to it (the one that talks about false coding on death certificates and all the money the hospitals are rolling in from Covid cases)....I typed out some pretty long responses, and then changed my mind. 

I no longer believe people are misinformed because they don't know better; there are too many readily available resources to fact check,if people really wanted to. Instead I think people are choosing to believe what makes them feel better. Maybe they're scared, and downplaying the numbers reassures them. Whatever the reason, it's intentional. 

Consequently we're never going to change the point of view they've latched onto. It's a choice they are willfully making. It's only going to change when the pandemic comes home to roost. (being intentionally misinformed will just about guarantee that roosting too) 

And if I'm honest with myself there is a part of me that is jealous. I wish I could convince myself that things just aren't that bad; that we're being lied to left and right because of some nefarious agenda; that the counts of deaths and illnesses are inflated for some evil purpose.

It would be nice to go back to that naive mindset. I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Valued Contributor

I didn’t read all of these posts, but I really feel bad for all you people in Florida who are doing your best to stay safe and keep others safe. It’s the a-holes who are causing this; the ones who think their “rights are being violated” Immature, inconsiderate and self centered. Sorry, but that’s my opinion. This will never end because of people like that; it’ll only get worse!
Super Contributor

So well said. Hope you stay safe yourself!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D 

It makes my stomach churn and I'm in Maryland where are positivity rate is below 5%.  Cases have ticked up in the last few days, but death rates are still way down.

Nevertheless, I feel anxious and frightened for those living in areas that are so hard hit. 

I'm hoping prayers help, because it's all I can offer.

Esteemed Contributor

It is a constant battle of check your sources, no check your sources. You just want to hear what you want, no you just what to to hear what you want. Your news station is ******, no your news station is ******. Over and over. No budging, no coming together, no compromise. Just another I am correct and you are wrong debate.  We never learn. I am guilty of it probably more than most. Just tired of it I guess.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Valued Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

@Drythe @Linmo  

Bless you both for trying. 

I read this post, as well as the other one next to it (the one that talks about false coding on death certificates and all the money the hospitals are rolling in from Covid cases)....I typed out some pretty long responses, and then changed my mind. 

I no longer believe people are misinformed because they don't know better; there are too many readily available resources to fact check,if people really wanted to. Instead I think people are choosing to believe what makes them feel better. Maybe they're scared, and downplaying the numbers reassures them. Whatever the reason, it's intentional. 

Consequently we're never going to change the point of view they've latched onto. It's a choice they are willfully making. It's only going to change when the pandemic comes home to roost. (being intentionally misinformed will just about guarantee that roosting too) 

And if I'm honest with myself there is a part of me that is jealous. I wish I could convince myself that things just aren't that bad; that we're being lied to left and right because of some nefarious agenda; that the counts of deaths and illnesses are inflated for some evil purpose.

It would be nice to go back to that naive mindset. I hope they enjoy it while it lasts.

@SunSprite You said it perfectly. On Saturday I had the Governor of Florida’s press conference on in the background and when I heard him say that we all know this virus hates the heat and humidity I grabbed the remote and switched to HGTV and watched a mindless decorating show. I guess some people have to touch the fire for themselves before they believe it’s hot.