Honored Contributor

The weirdest thing I read this week

[ Edited ]

Hair-grooming syncope is a fainting disorder caused by hair styling

I read an article by Maressa Brown in “Health”  in Apple News

I’m summarizing below.

A woman in Clinton, Tennessee, Alicia Brown Phillips, shared a story on Facebook on July 7th. She was getting her little sister Gracie ready for church and was curling the child’s hair. After about five minutes of hair prepping, the child began gagging and turned pale. Alicia asked her sister if she was sick and the child said yes. In another 30 seconds the child’s lips turned blue and she was pale and was beginning to pass out. Her pupils enlarged, her facial expression became blank and she was staring blankly. She became unresponsive, her hands were shaking and then she went limp for a minute. It seemed like a seizure to Alicia. The child soon came to and said she felt OK. The child said she could hear during the incident but she couldn’t talk. She remained confused.

Gracie was taken to a childrens’ hospital and given an EKG and a scan of her head. Her family was told she was fine and that she had an incident of a condition called hair-grooming syncope. This condition can affect children ages 5-13 and occurs while curling, brushing, drying, cutting, styling or braiding a child’s hair. This can cause nerve stimulation in the scalp leading to what appears like a seizure but is actually fainting. It is a rare condition that results in loss of consciosness during hair care. It’s believed that a nerve in the scalp sends impulses to another nerve, the vasovagal nerve. This nerve is involved with regulating blood pressure and heart beat rate. The styling can lead to a slow heart rate and lower blood pressure leading to syncope (fainting). The condition is temporary.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The weirdest thing I read this week

Wow!!

When my son was a teenager he had what the ER doctors described as a “vegel reaction” twice.The first time he was in school eating lunch.He popped a very hot chicken nugget in his mouth & started hyperventilating & passed out.The second time about a year later we were out to dinner & he ate a very hot French fry.He said he couldn’t breathe  ran to the bathroom & passed out.

His pediatrician assured us that he would be okay each time.After the second incident he started waiting for his food to cool.He hasn’t had the problem since.I was told that the hot food on the palate got him nervous which triggered the reaction.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ,

What your son experienced was vasovagal syncope, or vagal reaction.  

Esteemed Contributor

So scary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop  I may have misspelled it but I know exactly what my son experienced.I was there & spoke to the doctors.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ @I have never heard of this.You must have been so frightened before a diagnosis....I would find it hard to believe that hot food could do that.It reminds me of a situation with my son after hockey practice.The coach told me he said he couldn’t feel his face and he was slurring his words.He was not able to recall what he ate for breakfast just a few hours before.We rushed him to emerg thinking stroke....nope it was sports migraine.I didn’t believe it until he had a scan .He had one other as a teen when he was at the beach all morning and played hockey in the afternoon.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Wow!!

When my son was a teenager he had what the ER doctors described as a “vegel reaction” twice.The first time he was in school eating lunch.He popped a very hot chicken nugget in his mouth & started hyperventilating & passed out.The second time about a year later we were out to dinner & he ate a very hot French fry.He said he couldn’t breathe  ran to the bathroom & passed out.

His pediatrician assured us that he would be okay each time.After the second incident he started waiting for his food to cool.He hasn’t had the problem since.I was told that the hot food on the palate got him nervous which triggered the reaction.

Hi. If the vagus nerve is stimulated without fainting, it’s called vagus reaction or vasovagal reaction. If someone faints its called vasovagal syncope. Heat is only one thing that can cause the stimulation of the vagus nerve. It’s not incorrect to refer to it as a reaction but it is more correct to refer to it as syncope because the medical term for fainting is syncope.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of this, but have heard of a condition where while you are leaning back underneath a sink at a hair salon to have your hair washed you can have a stroke. It's called Salon Stroke Syndrome.

Super Contributor

It is actually a fairly common cause of “fainting” in children.

Contributor

very interesting.  I never knew this had a name.  When I was about five years old my mother used to braid my hair before school.  She said that one morning I fainted while she was braiding my hair.