Honored Contributor

The town of Asbestos, Quebec is changing its name

The residents of Asbestos, Quebec voted to change the town's name to Val-des-Sources. The new name will take effect in December. The town is about 80 miles north of Montreal and was home to Jeffrey Mine which was once one of the largest chrysotile asbestos mines in the world. The town held a drive by vote to select the new name from a list of suggested names. All residents 14 or older were allowed to vote. There were 2800 votes cast. 51.5% of the vote were for the name Val-des-Sources.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: The town of Asbestos, Quebec is changing its name

That's interesting...........

makes me wondering how and why that little village/town in PA got it's name and why it's never been changed.

Guess I should Google for my inquiring mind.

It starts with an............"I"

Valued Contributor

I can understand the desire to change it. I can't help,but wonder, if someone lived there for an extended period of time, how long would it take to get used to referencing the new name?!  Sort of like remembering to write the new year the beginning of January! 

Honored Contributor

It will always be Asbestos to me.

Honored Contributor

It was a close election.  Were any other names proposed?

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  There are many stories revolving around the name of that town in Lancaster County, PA.  The town was founded in 1754 and was originally named Cross Keys.  Then, it is thought that the name was changed in 1814 to Entercourse since it was at the intersection of two major roads, or courses.  The name also was used to refer to fellowship and social interaction shared in a community of faith.

Probably more info than you care to know, but I always find things like this very interesting and I have lived in the Philly area most of my life.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

That's interesting...........

makes me wondering how and why that little village/town in PA got it's name and why it's never been changed.

Guess I should Google for my inquiring mind.

It starts with an............"I"

@fthunt @Originally the town had no official name but the post office just kept sending mail there because of the mine and the name of the town just came about through use.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It was a close election.  Were any other names proposed?

@ValuSkr @There were about ten names that were then narrowed down to five. Approximately one half of the residents cast a vote in the election.

Honored Contributor

UPDATED TO ADD

L’Azur-des-Cantons, Jeffrey-sur-le-Lac, Larochelle, Phenix, Trois-Lacs and Val-des-Sources were the SIX choices.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl @SXMGirl Not too much info - I can never get enough - like you apparently.  I recall going thru PA Amish area - saw nearby township Intercourse on the map - so we said - just gotta go and check it out.  Stopped car under the town sign - but no sign of anybody - no buggy  - no car - nobody.  But we could say we were in Intercourse. 

Interesting how it got it's name

Thanks for info..................