Trusted Contributor

Re: The therapy dog when DH was in ICU....

Nina is gorgeous. 

Honored Contributor

My friend breeds and trains therapy golden retrievers. When her dogs retire from their therapy jobs, I adopt them. So far I have adopted three goldens...all have been so sweet. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to adopt them. My friend is very selective when she decides where her dogs will live their life to the end. I'm so happy I could be there for her and for her dogs.

Honored Contributor

What a touching story, I think it *works* because a dog doesn't have to say anything,  just be there for you.  It won't say the wrong thing and it's not waiting for conversation from you.

I'm so sorry about your loss.Heart

Respected Contributor

@USAnn  Magnificent!

Honored Contributor

@USAnn 

It takes a special person to do this.  You go where others may tremble or cry, but you try to help them smile. 

I know it would be hard for me to do (hospital visits, etc.) and also to be able to keep a light and airy conversation going, too.

Thank you and your dog, too!Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so glad you had the soft, kind paws with you even for a short while.  

Dogs are are very empathetic, they are so full of love.  Loving and being loved, teaching, and being taught by therapy dogs has enriched my life more than anyone could believe, as well as the lives of others.

Hope your sleeping has improved.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I know they had a therapy dog at the VA nursing home in Oxford, MS at one time and he was well received. Several of the residents there never had visitors and they would light up when the "therapy dog" came to visit.  It was a touching moment to witness .

Honored Contributor

Therapy dogs are angels on Earth. My Mom and I had one during her illness. I found him and his owner through Therapy Dogs International.

I haven't seen the dog since the loss of my Mom. I miss him very much. My Mom loved him so much, it was great for both of us.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

When I was battling cancer and in treatment, they had a therapy dog - it was a big Golden Retriever.  When new ppl would walk into the room he'd get up and go over and greet them.  After doing so he'd go to the middle of the room and just plop down until the next new person came in the door.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Those dogs can bring great comfort to people during these very trying times. My sister has had 2 of her dogs registered as therapy dogs, and made many visits with them, to the hospital I called for years, My 2nd Home.

hckynut

hckynut(john)