Esteemed Contributor

The therapy dog when DH was in ICU....

I came across the card the therapy dog owner gave me when DH was in ICU the day he passed away. DD came in from the hall and said there must be a therapy dog here. I heard a nurse say "Oh Niki,  how are you?"  Next thing a beautiful Rough Collie came into the with his owner.  DS had gone to make a call but Niki came over to my sister, DD and I. The owner said they only go to the families in ICU and the children's floor.

After we had pet him he laid on his side on the floor like" these ladies love me and I'm staying".  His owner told him they had others to see so he finally got up and they left.

He was so beautiful and a sweet dog. We really appreciated her stopping in with him. Truthfully, those few minutes petting him were the only time my hands had stopped shaking in hours.

I thought it was a wonderful thing to have for the families.

Honored Contributor

Re: The therapy dog when DH was in ICU....

I remember when I was in the hospital and met about four different dogs.  They are so obidient and sweet.  I sure hope they get to play when they leave the hospital.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I remember when I was in the hospital and met about four different dogs.  They are so obidient and sweet.  I sure hope they get to play when they leave the hospital.

I have a friend  that takes her therapy dog to hospitals and nursing homes during the week.  Weekends they run agility together.  Therapy dogs are typically family pets doing some volunteer work.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , how wonderful that you were able to have a minute of respite from all that was going on. My family went thru this with my dad 25 years ago when he was taken off life support that was his directive when he suffered a similar situation as your late DH. I think of you and wonder how you are doing and pray you and your family will find peace in time.

Honored Contributor

"Sometimes you don't need words to feel better; you just need the nearness of a dog."

Dog Quotes

Honored Contributor

Therapy dogs and their owners are blessings from Heaven.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some funeral homes in PA have comfort dogs too.

They make a heartbraking situation so much better with their love.

Not sure if you are familiar with them as well @CrazyKittyLvr2 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2, thank you for sharing that beautiful story. I'm glad that sweet dog was able to comfort you a litle bit.

Esteemed Contributor

These beautiful dogs are angels with fur coats.

Contributor

This is my 11th year as a certified therapy dog handler. My current partner is Nina; we began our journey in 2018. My first partner, Brenda Lee, went to the Rainbow Bridge in August 2018; we worked together for 10 years. I am honored to be the human entrusted to join each of them in their work. 

The "power of the paws" is an amazing thing. Kudos to a fellow therapy dog team for helping to ease your burden during a very difficult time.

Brenda Lee

Brenda Lee

Nina

Nina