Honored Contributor

Re: The state of PA owes me 2 tires.............

I guess I'm used to the pot holes now. However when we first moved to PA I couldn't believe how bad the roads were when it snowed and once one crossed into NJ they were clear....say all you want about NJ (plenty do) but at least they're always working on roads.

Honored Contributor

Oh no @CrazyKittyLvr2   We run into the same thing here in Michigan.

The running joke is

Image result for michigan state symbols construction

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam 

since you are from the maryland area, maybe this meme will make you laugh......it is so true!

696 meme cicada.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Yes, the roads in PA are horrible.  We have freezing winters and too hot summers.  Water gets under the macadam and freezes and shrinks and lifts up the material. When it gets hot the material expands and crumbles.

We also get a too many trucks that tear up the highways.  The money from the turnpike is not usedmto fix the turnpike roads, but is given to the state.  Our gasoline  taxes are extremely high.

ln 2018 we had so many flooded roads and many were washed out and not repaired yet.

Every spring roads are closed and being worked on, sometimes for months.  Where I live we have road construction going on in every direction.  If we had a state emergency, I have no idea which direcrion to go....traffic jams everywhere due to construction.

I noticed that upstate NY is  just as bad...too many trucks and too harsh winters will do that.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  OMG...This is the truth!!!! Lol.

@Carmie Thank you for such an informative answer. It appears to be a specific set of issues that cause the roads to fall apart. I wonder how many other states have the same weather conditions and how their roads are.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Well, move up to Connecticut!  Our roads are better than that, but our taxes are high!  The roads in my town are in perfect shape, but you would choke if you saw our tax bill.  The interstate is not that bad yet - but we need to raise money to pay for repairs.  Some overpasses are quite bad.  So now the state is looking for ways to raise money, even with our CT ST sales tax.  Tolls will likely be in our future.  

Heart and a Smiley Happy for Pam~

Hello Pam,  --- where we live locally, the taxes are quite high, meaning our village and surrounding areas as schools and all businesses (shop centers) roads have excellent streets, in the 40mph & 55 mph roads, but when leaving, either 15 miles out /other townships, secondary roads, I could count, many possibly, very bad to horrible.

Four counties here =extremely bad, that would be where the $$s are laxed, very simply stated...the taxes dictate premium roads and their geography. That's where one would want to travel to ...

for shopping, and where most medical offices are, also, along where the hospital are. 

I'll give a high five to @Vivian  pointing that out in referece to all European countries' travel pathways being A1.

You would be amazed if driving on the Autobahn.

On many occasions when traveling, my husband and I have been to most [all]  business / vacations countries throughout Europe and the Far East.

I have yet to hear of anyone returning from [THERE] hearing anything of bad highways, let a lone pot holes.

I have seen too many vehicles, here, trying to dodge large holes that have become much too dangerous, then instantaneously swerving.  I am shocked that there are not as many accidents happening from what I read.

The larger ratio of accidents come from people on a cell phone, texting, or never using a their turn signals in heavy traffic while traveling 70 mph, or ........even lower. 

Our state has the have the money, not a priority, though for many folks. The majority is being spent on sports arenas and their sports stadiums. "It's a god, here".

Definitely learned to take all back roads to be where I want.

It may takes 20 minutes longer but worth it for me. 

On many unfamiliar highways/ roads we have no other choice, or don't go.

That's about the sum of what is happening here.  

@PamfromCT 

Monday: 6-10'19

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

the freeeways here in california can shake your teeth loose, no kiddin. the state is always out there filling potholes but they never last.  i have  heard of serious accidents because of potholes, and I beleve Caltrans was held liable.  not always, but there are certain circmstances where they are negligent.

with a long, hard rainy season here much work had been delayed.  storms made roads worse.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam :  I live in the Arizona mountains and our weather conditions are the same,or worse, than PA and most of the roads and freeways are beautifully maintained.  When I go to CA (frequently) I am appalled by both the road conditions (immediately upon crossing state line), their gas prices (at least $1 per gallon more than AZ) and the taxes (really high, comparable to MD, VA and NY).  

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam :  If it were a problem with potholes (especially if I was replacing tires) I would take a photo of pothole and Bill to replace tire, and mail it or email to every paper in state plus Consumer Action tv shows plus state reps, governor, mayor etc.  If you do it right, you WILL get action ( "the squeaky wheel gets the grease).  There is an art to being an effective complainer.

Respected Contributor

Northeast PA has potholes galore. It seems if/when they get fixed they open right back up again in a short time. Either they aren't being fixed correctly or they're not using the right material to fix them.

Image result for pa pothole memes

Image result for pa pothole memes

Related image