Honored Contributor

Re: The state of PA owes me 2 tires.............

A harsh winter followed by spring rains caused havoc with our roads, but I realize they focus on the heavily traveled roads first. I think the other driver is more to blame.
Respected Contributor

I drive a new Lexus and I have had 3 tires replaced over the past year! 

PA roads are awful!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 

Yes, they are.  16 years in Chester County and I got soooo tired of dodging pot holes.  I did have to have 2 tires replaced due to them.    You can tell when you cross the state line into MD because the roads are immediately smooth.   

We drove from PA to NM and never saw any roads as bad as the ones in PA.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with the others, just send a photo of the pot holes along with your bill. It can't hurt and maybe they will fix the problem. How would they handle it if you or someone else was hurt. Maybe this will get them to do something. I'm on your side!!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, move up to Connecticut!  Our roads are better than that, but our taxes are high!  The roads in my town are in perfect shape, but you would choke if you saw our tax bill.  The interstate is not that bad yet - but we need to raise money to pay for repairs.  Some overpasses are quite bad.  So now the state is looking for ways to raise money, even with our CT ST sales tax.  Tolls will likely be in our future.  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Well, move up to Connecticut!  Our roads are better than that, but our taxes are high!  The roads in my town are in perfect shape, but you would choke if you saw our tax bill.  The interstate is not that bad yet - but we need to raise money to pay for repairs.  Some overpasses are quite bad.  So now the state is looking for ways to raise money, even with our CT ST sales tax.  Tolls will likely be in our future.  

@PamfromCT.  Join the club! I grew up in NJ and have lived in NY for over 40 years. Toll roads all my life and bridges. And super high taxes! 

Valued Contributor

@threecees @CrazyKittyLvr2 I'm in Pa.  We undoubtedly have the worst roads in the country along with one of the highest gasolene taxes to fix these horrible roads.  The Pa turnpike costs an arm and a leg to travel across state and the road is constantly torn up.  Our very good neighbor runs a tire shop and he is extremely busy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honest question: WHY are the roads so bad in PA and why have they been so bad for decades?

My maternal family is from Philly and I grew up hearing about the pot holes and horrible roads and how things never get better and I wonder why? You KNOW citizens complain. You know heads of the counties are aware. Yet...nothing changes. Why?

MD and DC have the "mixing bowl" and there is ALWAYS some work being done due to pot holes and other traffic needs. Family in PA would say that needed to happen there (constant maintaining).

Let it be known I lived in upstate Maine for many years and never saw the issues I did when driving through PA.

Esteemed Contributor

Aside from the money this is going to cost you, it sounds to me like that road is hazardous. The highway department needs to fix it, pronto. If they don't do something soon, I'd call a state representative.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat  Ah yes, our state rep.  We live between 2 small bridges and a few years ago during the gas boom the gas co. trucks took out the bridges a year apart.

The one a few hundred feet past our house was first.  It ook 9 months to fix.  An ambulance enroute to a heart attack call didn't know it was out and had to detour and the man died.  I called rep's office more than once.

The bridge a 1/2 mile before us was out for months.  A  2 mile trip to highway became a 5 mile detour.  A fire truck would have had no chance to get here in time to save squat. I called then too.

They were useless both times.  I finally told them that if they lived on this road something would have been done right but since we are not politicans it didn't matter. Unless they are inconvienced or in danger they don't care.