Esteemed Contributor

The state of PA owes me 2 tires.............

DD and I decided to a few things today being it was finally a sunny day.  Plus she insisted I needed to get out of the house.  I drove.  DS took my car Wed. and had a friend of his put new rear brakes and rotors and inspect my car.  Our road is potholes with ribbons of asphalt in between. It's a state road, 2 lane (barely) side road.  I was doing below the speed limit and 2 miles from home some doofus came around a curve on my side and when I moved over went of the edge of a bunch of potholes (used to be road) and got 2 flat tires. The rain had washed out the road by the holes and it was deep.  I had no other place to go or get hit. Had to get AAA to take the car to Kost for tires.  Hope to get it Monday.  I just paid $300 on Wed.

I know the state isn't paying but they need to get their butts in gear and fix the craters in the road in our county. If I were blindfolded I could tell when you cross the county line. Not a bump. 

After the last 2 weeks I am in no frame of mind to deal with this secondary BS.

Honored Contributor

Re: The state of PA owes me 2 tires.............

Can you send your son or daughter back to take pictures of the road condition?

It's a long shot but I would send the pictures and the bill to the DOT to see if they would reimburse you.

Respected Contributor

We're originally from NW Pa. and those roads were always a disaster.  All the time it seemed.   It also seems like they were always fixing the roads but they never seemed to get any better.  

Respected Contributor

Try asking.  Our state/county has reimbursed drivers in the past.

Esteemed Contributor

Bummer.

I know, an old rural route that has turned into a major through way is something I contend with daily.  Pot holes!  Sunken manhole covers! No suitable shoulder - just a sharp drop off.  DH has gotten flats like that, too.  And yes, each time we get hard rains it gets worse, then if we're lucky eventually a crew comes through and cold patches.  It does not last.

And guess what?  More houses are being built!  They will have few options except to use this road also.  There are plans to upgrade it, but it's anyone's guess as to when and how.  My state has spent most of this region's transpo dollars in recent years on mass transit closer to our big city, and though I am certainly all for that, something  will have to give.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

It will be snowing again here in PA before they do anything to improve these

horrible pot holes.

So many roads need full repaving not just minor touch ups which are torn

apart again in no time. 

Keeps the mechanics busy anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband said, YES, you __can do this__. If a STATE road, also take and bring all picture, along with copy of billing!

We have the very same thing here. I75 & I71 has to be the worse, here. Our secondary 2east lanes roads and 2 lanes west roads / 35 mph are horrible. . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I live in upstate NY. The pothole situation has become unbearable. Driving anywhere involves a kind of slalom maneuver in an attempt to keep out of huge holes. The shaking of my guts with every bumpy ride is causing me to use expletives I thought I had forgotten. This is shameful. I’ve been to Western European countries and their roads are excellent. We should not have to put up with this. Infrastructure, my eye!

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian   I believe you on the expletives.  If my Mother could hear me from the hereafter this morning she is planning to kick my butt.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Those potholes were deep enough to sink a truck in even in  the mid-1970's when we lived in Pittsburg! How we disliked the lack of upkeep of the community. We lasted a little over seven months; my husband asked for another transfer out of PA. There wasn't any culture, the schools were awful and the roads were dispicable. We didn't want to raise our son there. We left quickly and never looked back.

I have heard good things about improved culture and the University, not curious enough to check it out. 

I'm so sorry about your ruined day of fun with your daughter and having to purchase two new tires. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.