Respected Contributor

Re: The school of fresh air

[ Edited ]

@comedy clubber wrote:

If you believe that public schools are "dismal", than you need to know that you have made them so, by refusing to pay teachers decent salaries, by refusing to support public education through  small tax levies, and by the ignorance of not knowing how urban areas have evolved in the past 40 years.  It is not the educators fault, as you seem to imply, but the neglect of state government and its citizens to support the future of their own communities.  I was once assigned to a charter school which purchased speech services from my district.  It claimed to be a haven for the autistic student.  It was a joke of a school, lots of false promise and little actual education.

I pay plenty in taxes the rub is I have no control how the money is spent...waste, fraud, making promises that taxpayers must fund to get elected, the cost of pensions & I could go on. The truth is public education needs major changes & no child should be stuck in a school that doesn't serve their needs. My school district takes students from other areas as long as they can provide their own transportation & its upped the neighboring districts game...your school district isn't up to par you lose students & their state funding to a school district that is. Choice gets the stuck in a rut we're the only option you have public schools to change or be gone...that's a good thing. We have a chapter school that's fantastic, it accepts all special needs, tests students in each subject to meet their needs, has 4 teachers per open classroom that span grades, gets rave reviews from parents, students & an excellent test scores from the state...state funding follows the student so no tuition & the teachers are non union. The blame game is a waste of time, public education better change or the competition will end it.

Honored Contributor

Re: The school of fresh air

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ I'm glad you guys have good outcomes. Those rates are awesome. I have no idea what's happening here in NY. Apparently if you can get a student loan which everyone can you can go to a state university. I was just dumbfounded the other day when the chancellor (I think that's who it was) talked about making sure we get help for these students in college that are behind. Um what? Bad enough these kids are leaving high school unprepared but putting them in college like that just sets them up to fail.

If you know any kids in that didn't do well in school tell them to apply in NY. We'll probably take them easily. We can get out of state tuition. Smiley LOL

@pigletsmom . Where in NY are you? I am also in New York. Our 3 nieces went to college on LI but it was over 10 years ago. They are still paying their student loans. All three have great jobs and are making great money. 

Oh, they didn't go to the school in my town.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  I'm in Albany. So we also get the whammy of a lot of property being taken up by tax exempt state government not to mention hospitals and colleges.

Esteemed Contributor

Is the OP really upset because a school encourages children to go outside and get some fresh air and enjoy themselves?  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I'm in Albany. So we also get the whammy of a lot of property being taken up by tax exempt state government not to mention hospitals and colleges.

@pigletsmom . Oh ok you are a few hours away from me. 

Regular Contributor

To whom it concerns, the school is in Ozaukee County in Wisconsin and was apparently reported on the CBS affiliate CBS 58.  Look it up yourself if you are so interested.  I do not care to have to prove myself constantly to some invisible bully, nor do I have the time.  My friend was kind enough to provide me with the story and info, I will  not ask her for more. I see little value in an outside educational system.  Also, I am not against children going outside for recess or field trips, primarily in warm months.  Ocasionally our English and science classes were held under trees due to St Louis heat, where I grew up.

Honored Contributor

@comedy clubber wrote:

To whom it concerns, the school is in Ozaukee County in Wisconsin and was apparently reported on the CBS affiliate CBS 58.  Look it up yourself if you are so interested.  I do not care to have to prove myself constantly to some invisible bully, nor do I have the time.  My friend was kind enough to provide me with the story and info, I will  not ask her for more. I see little value in an outside educational system.  Also, I am not against children going outside for recess or field trips, primarily in warm months.  Ocasionally our English and science classes were held under trees due to St Louis heat, where I grew up.

@comedy clubber   I don't think it was a matter of having to prove yourself; your original opening post was rather vague and without more info I found myself not responding.

I didn't quite understand why the open air class was being exclusive to children with disabilities.

Without the reference to the school in Wisconsin it would have been a bit difficult to find what this was all about.

Now there more info to look up this particular issue;  Google isn't always helpful.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Hmm that place sounds interesting. It's at nature center so it's probably somewhat set up for kids with disabilites. And to me it sounds like it would be good for kids with ADHD. Not as much sitting around and a different type of learning. I would have loved it as a kid.

Respected Contributor

According to what I read the initial enrolment is around 37-40 students. Charter schools do take tax money from public schools but they are limited in what they receive. There is no way that this school would have sufficient funds to hire special education teachers or the para-pros needed to serve the special needs population. Sad because it would probably be good for kids who could benefit from this type of setting.