Trusted Contributor

Re: The sadness is unbearable, have you ever watched

@Ditzydori Emily big hugs to you and I felt your pain through your words. I realize now that life limiting illness is so hard on the loved ones (caregivers) just as much and sometimes even more then the ones suffering from the illness. I cried when I read your post. I now realize just how hard it is on my husband.....he is so worried right now. We got bad news today...not only is there nothing more that can be done for me that will change my outcome....they have had to increase the morphine in my pump. I have been bedridden for the last few days. I realize that in reading your post and the responses that DH and I need to cherish the time we have left....every moment and on the good days when I can to go places and to take the time to enjoy those moments. I send you positive thoughts and love and your post deeply touched me. Hugs xxxxxx Stormy

Respected Contributor

@Ditzydori, I'm just now seeing this thread. I've been sitting here crying, reading how you and your husband are suffering and thinking about my family and friends. My sister is battling cancer right now. We texted each other about an hour ago to say love you and goodnight. I am terrified but cannot let it show. She says I've been her rock from the begining. We live about a thousand miles apart but call, text or e-mail everyday.

I lost a close friend less than a year ago. She went from an active, vibrant person to waking up one morning partially paralyzed and blind in one eye. Her husband rushed her to the hospital thinking she had suffered a stroke in the night. No, it was brain cancer. Surgery the next day. A few weeks later the tumor was back and inoperable. She had never left the hospital and passed away 

in two months, the day before going to hospice.

On the other hand, my darling friend survived ovarian cancer, several surgeries, chemo, and much suffering mentally and physically. Her parents took care of her. She was not expected to live but here she is, six years later, active, beautiful inside and out, enjoying life and helping to take care of her elderly father. Don't give up hope,@Ditzydori. Miracles do happen. Prayers to you and Tony.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Emily...it is so hard to know what to say.  Everything seems so insignificant.  My heart is with you and your dear husband.  I've read all the posts, so much love and so many prayers. I know that if I'm ever faced with such a devastating decision, I will do everything in my power to fight it naturally, but I will not subject myself to surgeries and radiation.  The posts here have made that conviction even stronger.  It is so challenging to be in the role of a caretaker.  I'm faced with that myself.  You feel so powerless and hopeless, but know that you are a source of strength and peace to your loved one.  Your thoughts and actions will guide and assist them through this difficult journey.  Don't forget to take a few moments for yourself....even if it is just a quiet moment sitting in a chair conscious of just your breath going in and out.  It will assist you to have the strength to carry on.  I'm continuing to send much love and pray for peace for you and your beloved husband.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ditzydori

My heart aches for you and your husband and for all of us...sometimes it seems the sorrows of life are a crushing weight and that there is nothing we can do or say.  My prayers are with you both.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
QVC Customer Care

Contributor

Hi Emily, Eleven yrs ago we lost our only son to colon cancer.  Not only was the sadness unbearable, but the pain of watching our son daily fight this cancer was a pain I didn't think I could bear.  But bear I did and my husband, our daughters, granddaughters and our wonderful daughter-in-law in our individual way traveled this painful journey together as  we all loved and supported one another.  I leaned so much about myself and now for the past 16 months I am Home Caring my dearest husband who one day was healthy and active and within 48 hrs could neither walk or use his arms and hands.  He was struck down with Guillian-Barre Syndom (GBS).   I believe that our son's cancer showed me and prepared our family to live one day at a time.  Pray thru each day.  Be thoughtful, kind and tolerant with each other and everyone we meet .   As I've said to friends, " no, I'm not brave I did my pity parties, but nobody came".  Life is one darn test after another and thankfully I  love tests.  Thank you Emily for opening up your heart to all of us.  I hope that God continues to be with you.

Honored Contributor

I'm so so sorry Emily honey.

I wish we could all be there with you.

Please know there will be prayers with you as you and your husband go through this together with tears and love.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Dori, your post made me cry. Your pain is palpable. I am so so sorry. I think we've all lost someone to cancer at this point. I've lost my mom and sister in the last 4 years. I won't say stay strong. That's impossible. Stay in touch. As bad as these boards can get, they are also very compassionate. Take care, Dori. I'm so sorry <3

Esteemed Contributor

I feel your pain. Cancer was no where near our immediate family so when mom wasn't feeling well with no history they didn't even think cancer. The Dr thought she had diverticulitis. Imagine our shock  the day of the surgery she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. 

Sending you prayers and (((HUGS))). Hope your husband begins to feel better soon. 

Valued Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

A loved one die from cancer. If you haven't, count your blessings. 

Cancer sucks the life life right out of you. Robs you of your dignity. Takes every single thing that you have enjoyed away. That is what it is doing to my husband. The melanoma is winning. It is a monster like none other.  That's just what cancer is. A MONSTER!!

We got the results to hubbys PET scan and in spite of all the treatments, radiation, sugeries, the disease is advancing. My husband is having difficulty swallowing. I cry when I see him try to eat. He looks like a little old man. He holds on to me when he walks. He lost 50 pounds from January. 

The sadness is unbearable. I never dreamed in a million years that I would see this. It's so bad that I decided if I ever got cancer and it wasn't in the earliest stages, I would choose to,do nothing and die with dignity. My husband has been to hell and back with the treatments, surgeries, and radiation and all for nothing. A complete waste of time. 

I'm just sick with dispair. We are still in florida. We fly back north on Wednesday. I have to have the car shipped. Believe it or not, he drove down in December. He couldn't wait to come to Florida.  We never expected this to,happen. We didn't see it coming. He was chopping wood back north on November. 

When i I get back north my children are there so I think I will feel a little better. We stayed so long here because we decided to finish his round of treatments here. Just easier. Now when we get back north we will go back to memorial Sloan Kettering and see if they can offer any hope. Maybe some trials. I really don't know. Or just maybe hubby will decide enough is enough. 

Im beside myself. I keep reading the psalms. They help. 

Just writing this down has helped. Thank you all for listening. God bless you. 

Emily 

@Dori, it's been awhile since you have posted & am wondering how you & your husband are doing..hopefully you are settled in, now that you are home..hoping things are going well for both of you @ this time..