Trusted Contributor

The "Sunset of Their Lives?"

I just watched an interview with a member of law enforcement in Michigan talking about the two bailiffs who lost their lives yesterday due to the shooting at a courthouse.

This law enforcement officer named the 2 victims, ages 61 and 63 and said they "Were in the sunset of their lives."   

I think this "spokesperson" needs to do his homework and know that the 60's isn't considered elderly or the sunset of our lives.

Honored Contributor

Re: The "Sunset of Their Lives?"

@Hot Street wrote:

I just watched an interview with a member of law enforcement in Michigan talking about the two bailiffs who lost their lives yesterday due to the shooting at a courthouse.

This law enforcement officer named the 2 victims, ages 61 and 63 and said they "Were in the sunset of their lives."   

I think this "spokesperson" needs to do his homework and know that the 60's isn't considered elderly or the sunset of our lives.

Yep, it takes the sun a while to go down, one can hope, but it is definitely nearing the horizon.  I'm over 60. . . by the way.  I understand that.  No problem.

Honored Contributor

Considering the event, you really think that comment is important? 

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Considering the event, you really think that comment is important? 

My point is the spokesperson was making it sound like the killer killed two men who were at the end of their lives.

These were two able bodied and vibrant men.   Was the crime less horrible because he thought they were in the sunset of their lives?

Considering the event, I think his comment was inappropriate!

Honored Contributor

I take it they were getting old enough to retire and enjoy the benefits of all the years they had worked, and were deprived of this unjustly.  How sad, and in a way yes, especially at this time of life.  After all they had done and they don't get to enjoy the reward of not having to work, spending time as they wish, not getting shot at, etc.

Honored Contributor

This old sunseter has already been out at 6:45 watering her trees and push mowed around her shrubs. Now, going to hit the recumbent bike for a 30 min work out. then wash some clothes, mop the floors, iron some clothes.

Maybe I can sit down by this afternoon. When I was 20 I thought 50 was older then dirt, young kids think your old when your 30. I do more in my 60's in one day  then most young people do in a week.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I take it they were getting old enough to retire and enjoy the benefits of all the years they had worked, and were deprived of this unjustly.  How sad, and in a way yes, especially at this time of life.  After all they had done and they don't get to enjoy the reward of not having to work, spending time as they wish, not getting shot at, etc.

I had a cop female friend who moved to a beach area to retire she wanted to eventually die by the ocean. She was only 62 took early retirement, they built a home, she died 2 wks later from injuries she had on the job from yrs. before. She died in the hospital not by the ocean.

I wouldn't be a cop these days for all the tea in China. You have to be super human to put up with all this 'c*ap' from all sorts. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Hot Street wrote:

Yep, it takes the sun a while to go down, one can hope, but it is definitely nearing the horizon.  I'm over 60. . . by the way.  I understand that.  No problem.

Heck, there are plenty of people on this forum who revel in posting obnoxiously about "old people" - which in their tiny, narrow minds, could be anyone over 50 - who knows?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Hot Street wrote:

For DH and I, retirement is the sunshine of our lives. We are both 66. My mother is 91. I would say that she is in the sunset of her life.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Hot Street wrote:

Heck, there are plenty of people on this forum who revel in posting obnoxiously about "old people" - which in their tiny, narrow minds, could be anyone over 50 - who knows?

LOL there is a massive amount of whining and complaining on a regular basis about younger people on these forums. A heck of a lot more than people complaining about older people. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval