Honored Contributor

Re: The "Sunset of Their Lives?"

I remember the old comic, Jack Benny.  His line when it came to age was that he was "39."

I always thought "why the heck does he pick such an old age to want to be?"

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The remark might have been better worded as "they had worked selflessly for so many years."  Gets the point across without suggesting that the Grim Reaper was probably coming soon for them anyway. 

So many people die prematurely, and that is indeed heartbreaking.  But aren't all deaths by violence equally deplorable?

When people are interviewed after a murder and say, "And she/he was such a nice person"  I always wonder if they wouldn't care at all if the victim was a little prickly or difficult. Surely nobody deserves to die by random violence.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

The remark might have been better worded as "they had worked selflessly for so many years."  Gets the point across without suggesting that the Grim Reaper was probably coming soon for them anyway. 

So many people die prematurely, and that is indeed heartbreaking.  But aren't all deaths by violence equally deplorable?

When people are interviewed after a murder and say, "And she/he was such a nice person"  I always wonder if they wouldn't care at all if the victim was a little prickly or difficult. Surely nobody deserves to die by random violence.

I just don't think it is ever fair to dissect what someone says at a time by this.  Most always, we can infer what they are trying to say, even if it could be stated "better."  People having to speak about things like this don't deserve being put on the hot seat.  It is hard for all of us to express our feelings at the time of a death.