Respected Contributor

Re: The "Okie From Muskogee" has Passed

Gosh I'm gonna miss him....so many great songs.Thats the way love goes is maybe my favorite, so glad I saw one of his last concerts.

Super Contributor

Another one of the greats has left us!  Was so sad to read about it yesterday but something has me puzzled...I read he'd been fighting pneumonia for months before it took him. I thought medicine was on top of that these days...just don't understand it!  Can anyone explain?  

Honored Contributor

@NanaLinda wrote:

Another one of the greats has left us!  Was so sad to read about it yesterday but something has me puzzled...I read he'd been fighting pneumonia for months before it took him. I thought medicine was on top of that these days...just don't understand it!  Can anyone explain?  

@NanaLinda - They said he had double pneumonia.  Sadly, not all cases respond to treatment, especially in the elderly or someone with a compromised immune system.  I've had friends and relatives die of pneumonia in recent years, which is why they suggest the vaccine for anyone at higher than normal risk.

Trusted Contributor

Merle Haggard is/was my most favorite singer/songwriter.  I've loved his music since 1967.  I've seen him live 40+ times in my life.  

I'm crushed that he's gone, but knew he was not doing well.  His funeral is tomorrow at the ranch he and Theresa have lived at for 20+ years.  Marty Stuart and his wife Connie Smith will sing at Merle's request.  I'm sure there will be many other celebrities in attendance even though it is a "private" service.

This is a picture that his youngest son Ben posted to Facebook late in the day on April 6.  It is Ben holding Merle's hand in the last moments.  I can't stop crying.

851f89280c10b1485f5691867c26a786.jpg

Super Contributor

Thank you, Venezia, for explaing that for me.