Honored Contributor

Re: The "O" (Oprah) Factor disappearing

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

on a positive note......oprah doesnt forget the cities that helped launch her career. she is filming her new HBO film in baltimore next week. this is a nice little boon for the city of baltimore and a chance for some local actors to be involved in a movie.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-hbo-film-oprah-winfrey-film-baltimor...

@sunshine45 I am thrilled that Oprah is supporting Baltimore in filming her new HBO film as I truly do think she means well in many things she does but for my neck of the woods that may not be the case including the trickle down effect.

After she left her show, she basically moved out of Chicago to relocate in California.  Her Harpo Studio was kept intact until a few years ago when staff was let go (please know I realize time marches on but it should be noted that Chicago is where her career really took off and gave her the base for her current wealth).

Here is where the trickle down effect comes in.  Her studio space is now in the process of being reconfigured to encorporate McDonald's World Headquarters which for decades had been located on a huge campus in the western suburbs of Illinois.  According to news reports, it came as a shock that McDonald's decided to relocate to the town officials.  This is a tough blow to an area that is struggling to find jobs for folks as the higher paid people will commute to the city but the lower level positions will probably have to find another position as the cost of commuting will be prohibitive and I can attest to the fact that finding a decent job around here is tough.

Please know I don't expect Oprah to live her life beholden to others but there is something hinky in the transition from her studio property to McDonald's HQ as it never made the papers until the deed was done.  I would imagine McD's will make a bundle on selling the land that their huge campus currently encompasses as that is prime real estate for that area and there will probably be dozens of very high end homes built on that land.

Enjoy your McMansions.  SMH.

Esteemed Contributor

She is like everyone else. People tend to forget her when she isn't on tv everyday. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

She is like everyone else. People tend to forget her when she isn't on tv everyday. 

@Nancy Drew

Hi there, Jackaranda Smiley Happy  Nice to see you and imo you are right. 

I don't follow her but I pay attention to the news which says she has a good series on her OWN TV where she plays a down-to-earth bartender.  And she has a movie they think will be big.  I'm not clear on her connection, producer maybe?

Honored Contributor

@Say Nay O/T your avatar is cracking me up! Love it!

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 And yours does the same for me : D

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 Thank you for the kind words. Nice to see you as well. Now off to read your Halloween thread. For some reason I can't get enough Halloween this year!

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Regular Contributor

It was my understanding that Oprah liked the program so much she bought or invested in the company. So it does not make sense that she did not make any decisions.

Peggy

Honored Contributor

She's doing another Live Chat (which really isn't live but that's what they call it) on 9/;27. I may listen just to see if she mentions anything about the concerns people have regarding the plummet of stocks. Since this is for members and it's a constant discussion at meetings, it would be a good thing to address.

Doubt she will but we'll see.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Weight Watchers has lost $117 million since Oprah joined them - looks like she is no longer such a force among women now that she doesn't have her own show.  She definitely looks great since losing her weight so not sure why this isn't working for the company.  I find the WW fees are ridiculous - I belonged many years ago when it was affordable.  I'm wondering why they aren't running new ads with her new weight loss. 

Was she ever?  I only watched her show a couple of times in the early 1990s ... definitely would not consider her any kind of force among anyone I know.

Just a woman who had a daytime TV show ...