Respected Contributor

Re: The "O" (Oprah) Factor disappearing

[ Edited ]

@bri20 wrote:

WW messed with the points too many times.  People like familiarity.   It's a good program, but stick with what people like 

I'm not an Oprah fan - too phoney and full of herself 

Yep!  WW changed the point system at Christmas time and then the website kept going down.  Horrible PR and horrible customer service  out of the Phillipines,  I made lifetime right when this happened.  I loved the points system before Oprah.  I felt I could cheat a little bit.  My leader said that customers were telling her the old plan wasn't healthy.  Really?  It was as healthy as you made it.  I'm still staying on it but I had to adjust my points twice already.  People blame Oprah for the s*rew up because it happened when she came aboard.  Plus, people aren't in love with her after she supported a prez. She should have kept her nose out of it.  By the way, I don't pay a dime anymore for the app,or etools, since becoming lifetime.  I still recommend WW but felt they didn't roll the new plan out very well. 

Esteemed Contributor

I lost 108 pounds on Weight Watchers over 30 years ago. When the points system was introduced, I was on board because it was easy to follow and flexible enough to live with.   After 30 years with WW, I must say that their newest program stinks. It may be based on the latest and greatest research but it is very challenging. Sure, the ads that tell you that you can eat bread or ice cream are correct but what they don't tell you is that if you eat those things, then what's left for the rest of the day is so limited that you will be very hungry. Yes, it's a diet, but previous WW programs made life as a dieter a lot easier than the current program does.

When I put on a few pounds, I go back to the original points program. It REALLY works, it's healthy, and it doesn't penalize people for having a little bread or ice cream the way the current program does. Add to that the snafus with the technology and the cost of membership or buying some of their products at meetings and it's no wonder WW is in trouble. The only reason I go anymore is the group support, which is still great. 

Respected Contributor

I pay $45 a month and you DON'T have to buy anything if you have a computer or smartphone.  If you don't, you do have to buy the calculator.  I think it is about $6.95.  That is the ONLY thing you "might" have to buy.  If they change the plan, you just have to buy the calculator.  You do not ever need or have to buy their books.  All that info. is online. 

You don't need their cookbooks ever either.  Just use your own recipes.

When I get to goal "again" I will instantly be free to go because I am a lifetime member. 

Also those that say if you lose weight on WW, you gain it back.  You gain it back no matter which plan you use if you don't continue to follow it.

They were revamping this plan a long time before Oprah got on board.  It had nothing to do with her.

Honored Contributor

@mima

MIMA is right, you don't have to buy anything.

I bought the WW Complete CB at Costco just for ideas, but you can get recipes online free from fantastic bloggers who figure out points for us.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I don't think that Oprah has the draw as she once did.

There once was a time when Oprah's word was gold, meaning, she could have said that she liked Scott brand toilet paper, and people would buy that brand, for no other reason than Oprah said that she liked it.

it was like, "Hey, if Oprah says that she likes it, then it MUST be good!".

I think that thoes days are over and long gone.

I think fewer and fewer people care about what Oprah likes.

And thank God for that.  The way people "adored" and looked up to her as some type of an idol was over the top.  She is a person with problems just like the rest of us.  She isn't perfect.....never has been.....never will be.........but then again, that is the same about all of us.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Oprah has an addiction...food. When she came on television talking about bread, I knew she never came to terms with the fact that the brain is changed in people with addictions to certain foods and we cannot ever eat them without eating them in excess. Changed brain chemistry similar to any addiction. And those sugared up entrees and desserts, a true food addict will be triggered by these foods. Weight Watchers is great for some but food addicts are going to have a lot of issues with all that sugar.

Oprah's credibility is suffering when she keeps doing something the same way expecting a different result. 

@Trinity11 I don't think her creditability suffers at all because Oprah is one of millions who have suffered through yo-yo dieting, different food fads etc. Despite all of her money she continues to fight her battle with food and weight gain. People tend to empathize with her with her failures because it humanizes her.

I like your response.....it is very kind. For myself, I want Oprah to get real and understand that those of us (I count myself in that group) that can't handle foods that are high in carbs need to abstain completely.

I think for Oprah or anyone for that matter to have credibility they need to walk the walk. I am far more likely to follow someone who has found the solution and not yo-yo dieted her entire life. I guess what I mean is that my role model is someone that suffers from the same food addictions and seems to have conquered them.

But there are people who never conquer their addictions to food or still have problems with their weight. She may not be model thin but she does say that she eats healthy.

If she eats healthy than why the drive to always say she is on some diet or another? I think she looks great.....why not just accept herself as she is. Her quest for a miracle diet that will be the answer to her prayers doesn't really exist. And if she is healthy and well, then she has it made in this world. I think it is a shame that she thinks she has to fit some standard of what she is supposed to weigh.

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Oprah has an addiction...food. When she came on television talking about bread, I knew she never came to terms with the fact that the brain is changed in people with addictions to certain foods and we cannot ever eat them without eating them in excess. Changed brain chemistry similar to any addiction. And those sugared up entrees and desserts, a true food addict will be triggered by these foods. Weight Watchers is great for some but food addicts are going to have a lot of issues with all that sugar.

Oprah's credibility is suffering when she keeps doing something the same way expecting a different result. 

Her credibility was completely gone when she promised to never use her show as a certain platform, then turned around and did exactly that. 

WW hitching their wagon to a celebrity who has never been successful at dieting seems like a strange decision to me. 

Honored Contributor

on a positive note......oprah doesnt forget the cities that helped launch her career. she is filming her new HBO film in baltimore next week. this is a nice little boon for the city of baltimore and a chance for some local actors to be involved in a movie.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-hbo-film-oprah-winfrey-film-baltimor...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I don't think that Oprah has the draw as she once did.

There once was a time when Oprah's word was gold, meaning, she could have said that she liked Scott brand toilet paper, and people would buy that brand, for no other reason than Oprah said that she liked it.

it was like, "Hey, if Oprah says that she likes it, then it MUST be good!".

I think that thoes days are over and long gone.

I think fewer and fewer people care about what Oprah likes.

And thank God for that.  The way people "adored" and looked up to her as some type of an idol was over the top.  She is a person with problems just like the rest of us.  She isn't perfect.....never has been.....never will be.........but then again, that is the same about all of us.

I never got the worship factor over Oprah either.

I remember when she had her show and she said that she was never going to eat meat again.

The next day the cattle industry tanked.

Farmers tried to sue her for (I think) defamation of character.

She won, they lost.

The impression that I got was that she didn't care who she hurt or stepped on, as long as she remained the great and powerful Oprah.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

If she eats healthy than why the drive to always say she is on some diet or another? I think she looks great.....why not just accept herself as she is. Her quest for a miracle diet that will be the answer to her prayers doesn't really exist. And if she is healthy and well, then she has it made in this world. I think it is a shame that she thinks she has to fit some standard of what she is supposed to weigh.

Because in one way or another it fattens her wallet.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____