Respected Contributor

The "O" (Oprah) Factor disappearing

Weight Watchers has lost $117 million since Oprah joined them - looks like she is no longer such a force among women now that she doesn't have her own show.  She definitely looks great since losing her weight so not sure why this isn't working for the company.  I find the WW fees are ridiculous - I belonged many years ago when it was affordable.  I'm wondering why they aren't running new ads with her new weight loss. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The "O" (Oprah) Factor disappearing

"The Oprah Factor"!.....LOL...it never was there for me in the first place!  No one stays at the top forever!  It is long time to move on! 

Honored Contributor

When I was doing WW, I never did it because of her. I just wasn't following what was needed to be done, with yet again, another way to figure points. I got tired of tracking, I do do it at home now, and I'm staying with this way of eating, which I feel is healthier. But it's too costly, for what I can do at home and this time, I loved the people at the meetings too. However, due to a lousy back, I can't do the exercise part that is so important. So I'll do what I can here. It just makes more sense for me. It Wasn't because of O. W.

Honored Contributor

I think you hit it with no advertising.  I never see her anymore since I don't get her channel.  I think that out of sight out of mind coupled with she's lost it before and then gained it back is also part of it.  I bet a lot of people are on a wait and see if this really does work for her once and for all before I take another chance on WW or take my first foray into it at all.  

I'm not familiar with WW but if it's an expensive program, people have cheaper alternatives now like Fitbits and apps.  Plus making time to go to meetings and groups if that is still part of it is just not what people want to do anymore with their time.  WW might need a 21st century reinvention.  But with Oprah, they'll get there eventually, I'm sure.        

Respected Contributor

I think the Oprah mojo left the building a LONG time ago.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

Well she did lose weight representing WW, but probably not enough to impress the stick figure loving American public.

Honored Contributor

WW is too expensive compared to the alternatives out there, the company should b looking at that

Honored Contributor

I 'll say one thing about Oprah, even though I kind of tuned out on her last season, when she did her daily show for me it was must see tv. Looking at the current state of daytime tv, I realize how good he show was at its peak. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Neither Miss O, nor WW, can make you lose weight!  It is up to each individual to discipline themselves and change their lifestyles and eating, exercising, behavioral attitudes are among the changes needed!

I am very particular about my weight and healthy eating!  I was a little overweight as a teen and young adult...but changing my habits and thought processes concerning eating, exercising and general overall great sense of well being...I lost 30 pounds back in 1976 and have been a size 6-8 since then...about 40 years!  I never put it back on and i weigh between 128-135...and I am 5 ft. 6 inches!  

Respected Contributor

WW messed with the points too many times.  People like familiarity.   It's a good program, but stick with what people like 

I'm not an Oprah fan - too phoney and full of herself