Honored Contributor

Tis the season. Lots of shopping, sometimes with no idea what to buy for certain people. The saving grace....the gift card.

I'll start out by saying that gift cards are not bad, by any stretch of the imagination. But, there are a couple of problems with them, and why I sometimes avoid them.

First, you are going to have those folks who think they are cold and impersonal. I get that. For a lot of people in my life, it makes no sense for me to hand you a gift card for $50 and you hand me one. For that, we could just take our own money and buy ourselves what we want. The point of a gift is to give something the receiver would be excited about, love to have, maybe never purchased for themselves or never found themselves. It is often the purpose to give them something that they will remember you by.

Second, I think twice about giving a gift card this time of year because by the time the recipient gets to use them (after the holiday), stores are really picked over, and selection is low. If they can wait till later in the year to spend it, they have a greater chance of finding exactly something they love, but the weeks (and sometimes months) after Christmas, there isn't anything in the stores I need or want.

Unless one of the Mastercard or Visa gift cards, the person is limited to where you buy the card. If you know them well enough, it might be the right place, if you don't know them well enough, it is something they may have to settle for.

I do use gift cards, but I am selective as to when and for whom. Teens love them. Especially itunes if they buy music, or gas cards so they can drive more, and restaurant cards so they can go out and eat with their friends. Younger kids love to have one from the toy store, so they can pick out exactly what they love (but you do have the after holiday empty shelves problem there too).

Friends who are having a rough patch often appreciate a gift card to a general merchandise store (think Walmart). They can pick up anything from groceries to clothing or any other necessity while funds are low, and it allows them to use what monies they have to pay bills. Same would go for gas cards, or food cards, anything that would basically supplement their income.

Gift cards or certificates to a specific place that you know they use, (the spa, salon, or favorite specialty store) because you know any other gift is a gamble as they have everything, or are extremely finicky, can be a great option.

I only posted this because sometimes this time of year, as people ask for gift ideas, or as people talk about gifting, there are those that think the gift card is the ultimate answer, when in fact, it isn't always so. I hate to say it, but I've been given gift cards at times that I truly have no use for. I end up donating them (much the same as others say they do with some "regular" gifts) because I don't want anything from the establishment, and I feel it is wasteful to just get something I will give away or never use anyway.

Looking for others input on the gift card issue, its pros and cons. Oh, and happy shopping!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The problem with gift cards

You can always give cash or a check. We send out checks before the holiday as the gift so that items in stores aren't picked over, or they can use the money whenever they like.

I don't expect others to 'always remember me' by because of a gift they receive. That's not what I believe. I want to be remembered for other things as opposed to a gift as they are easily forgotten, used, outgrown, or discarded after a while.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

Many gift cards also begin to loose value if not used by a certain time.

Also, the stores LOVE it when people buy gift cards because many times people use them to buy something that leaves only a couple bucks....or even a few cents left on the card. They often don't use the rest of the card. Those small amounts add up to some pretty big bucks that the store has been paid for, but which is never redeemed.

I don't usually do gift cards because I like to make the effort to really think about the gifts I buy for those I love. This year, however, I am giving one of my nephews a Bed, Bath and Beyond card. He just bought his first home, so I know there are MANY things he's going to need for it.

I am also including some giftcards in the stockings of my two oldest grandkids: Gas cards for my 16-year-old granddaughter and Itunes for my 14-year-old grandson.

Valued Contributor

I remember a friend making a remark -- years ago -- how in her family they all gave each other cash.

She said it felt like one hand handing the money and the other taking money. She said it was to the point where they should all just stop with giving/swapping cash and enjoy each other's company.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Trusted Contributor

Hey mom, you did a great job of pointing out some of the pros and cons of the gift card. I LOVE getting gift cards and like to give them to certain people.

I have a friend who's fallen on hard times and I know giving her a $100 Target gift card allows her to have a fun shopping experience and get some stuff she needs and maybe a thing or two she wouldn't usually allow herself to get.

I think a gift card can be very thoughtful if it's a store the person really likes. A gift card is fun to get and fun to spend. IMO, of course.

Respected Contributor

I have everything I could possibly want and if I want something I buy it..so does hubby throughout the year. I would prefer somebody give me a gift card then waste $25 to $50 on something that I will not use.

I have reached a time in my life where quality beats quantity..right wrong..so be it..I never am ungrateful and always gracious to whatever gift I receive..but my sisters etc and I do exchange and they always say I am so hard to buy for..I agree..give me a gift card..I end up getting a hodge podge of stuff that I don't use..equals more then a modest gift card would.

Gift cards can be used online so the selection is much better..and often after holiday sales are the best.

I know somebody who wants Victoria Secret stuff for Christmas..I am giving her $100 gift card as I know come January they will have their ""bi-annual holiday sale"" where you can clean up ..so this way she gets what she wants but if she gets the card she can triple what she gets lol..

Trusted Contributor

On 11/20/2014 CouponQueen said:

I have everything I could possibly want and if I want something I buy it..so does hubby throughout the year. I would prefer somebody give me a gift card then waste $25 to $50 on something that I will not use.

I have reached a time in my life where quality beats quantity..right wrong..so be it..I never am ungrateful and always gracious to whatever gift I receive..but my sisters etc and I do exchange and they always say I am so hard to buy for..I agree..give me a gift card..I end up getting a hodge podge of stuff that I don't use..equals more then a modest gift card would.

Gift cards can be used online so the selection is much better..and often after holiday sales are the best.

I know somebody who wants Victoria Secret stuff for Christmas..I am giving her $100 gift card as I know come January they will have their "bi-annual holiday sale" where you can clean up ..so this way she gets what she wants but if she gets the card she can triple what she gets lol..

You make a good point about how the after Christmas sales are always really good, so a gift card recipient can afford a lot of stuff they wouldn't have been able to before the holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

swapping gift cards...in the same dollar amount....is the reason I called off Christmas exchange with my Michigan families...it seemed so silly...

now locally...I buy gifts and include a gift card...for the grands....for the adults I buy gifts...

they in turn buy me both gifts and gift cards....but dollar amounts are different....

personally....I prefer gift cards to local places...for grocery shopping....(think Wamarts) and restaurants...Applebees....Ruby Tuesday...Burger King...etc...then I can go out and grab a bite to eat to bring home...

I would like to stop this gift exchange with the adults...but still buy for the grands...however I know that won't ""fly""...

Honored Contributor

I believe once the relationship reaches the 'gift card' stage, it's time to re-evaluate the activity of gift giving. If you're giving gifts that they don't use...you really didn't know them in the first place...again, time to re-evaluate the activity of gift giving.

Honored Contributor

circles: If you have enough 'gralls' to make that declaration of 'no gift giving among adults'...believe me....they will LOVE you for it!! I guarantee there will be a SIGH of relief!!! I made that stand w/ my family when we were all adults & scattered throughout the US. It was such a burden lifted! AND we all found it was more special sending a little something to a family member sometime throughout the year...totally unexpected.