Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

well living in FL they (gas prices) have no "ceiling" like NJ where the gas can only be raised by 5 cents (I think from what I recall).

For instance, Saturday am gas is $2.09 by Sat afternoon it can be $2.29. That's why living here I never go below 1/2 tank since one never knows what gas price will be!

Today it's $2.17/gal and yes, we pump our own - I like it because I'm not waiting for someone to come -- I'm in and out!

I find wawa gas prices better than Sams in my area.

If you think gas prices are bad the Food prices here are ridiculous - as much as I hate it for 2 it's cheaper to eat out! I wonder what and why a lb. of cheese is $8.79😳 or peppers $2.89/lb. forget about fruits...sky high! 

I don't know if there is a ceiling on how much they can raise it, but they can only raise it once a day.

The pit stop stations along the NJ Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway are only allowed to raise it once a week.

Honored Contributor

In Pa the taxes on gas are high and so the prices are about 30cents more than here in Florida. The grocery store chains offer a card that gets you discounts on gas for every $50 you buy in groceries.With the price of groceries today that adds up fast. Here in Florida Publix has a promotion about once a month where you can buy a gasoline gift card for $50 worth of gas for $40 - one per every $50 worth of groceries you buy. I try to buy enough to get 2 cards when the have that promotion.Right now, in the car, I have 2 partial ones and one $50 one waiting to be used but this new car doesn't seem to be a gas hog - it was full when we got it 11 days ago and the gauge is just under full still. The best savings on gas is absolutely a car that is efficient in it's use.

Respected Contributor

Well...look at the bright side.  Just think of all the money you've saved over all these years. :-)  

I used to drive to Jersey to shop and gas up, but the tolls became prohibitive.

Honored Contributor

Gas taxes in PA are pretty high too.  My understanding is that NJ gas prices, after today's increase, will still be lower than PA's.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

why  a .23 increase in one day?

It's a brand, spanking new tax.

Hi @lulu2 ... I am also a NJ girl.  This isn't really a "new" tax.  We already had a gas tax ... which was among the lowest in the country.  But they have increased the tax by $0.23.  

Respected Contributor

Re: The price of gas in NJ

[ Edited ]

lulu2 wrote:

Tomorrow our gas will be $.23 more per gallon. When I passed by gas stations today, there were lines reminiscent of the gas crisis of (about) 1973.

We go from being one of the cheapest states (for gas) to one of the most expensive.

Before: 2nd lowest in U.S.
Now: 6th highest

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Gas taxes in PA are pretty high too.  My understanding is that NJ gas prices, after today's increase, will still be lower than PA's.

51 cents a gallon in Pa. It's crazy. I go across the Ohio line when I can. 

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

why  a .23 increase in one day?

It's a brand, spanking new tax.

Well isn't that special?  Woman Mad

Respected Contributor

What some of you who do not live in NJ are not realizing or putting into the equation is that in NJ we pay the highest taxes in country so yes adding a new tax to us is ridiculous.

When the rest of you pay what we pay in taxes then you will understand why this is once again another grab into our wallet that could have been prevented if we had a officials that actually did their jobs and cared about our state.

That increase in gas tax goes along with all the other increases we have had to pay.  Because of hands in the coffers where they did not belong. I am sure this money will also go the way of not being used for its original intent.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom - that's why we have to vote yes on question 2.