Honored Contributor

Re: The post about light bulbs

@brii wrote:

Why do people have to get nasty about light bulbs?

SMH

I don't even remember who it was on the other thread, but someone was quite insistent that the change in light bulbs was a dark government conspiracy and everyone who didn't believe them was ... uh .... stupid.      Go figure.

Esteemed Contributor

It was GWB who got this passed. A conspiracy ? LMBO !
Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
It was GWB who got this passed. A conspiracy ? LMBO !

And it's a good thing G.E. is not listening!  I will continue to buy incandescents as long as they continue to make them! 

Honored Contributor

I went out and bought a ton of the new bulbs we were supposed to start buying.  (Heck I didn't want a $30,000 a year electric bill.)

Then they kept changing them, the shapes, the light they ommited, so I coveted the original bulbs. 

But I have a plethora of bulbs. Woman Very Happy

I like the ones for the bathroom that are dim when you first turn them on.  No glaring lights in the middle of the night.

I got the impression from some posters, that just because I (and others----a good cross- the- board sampling, too) were being blatently ignorant to the planet because we like the old school bulbs.

Esteemed Contributor

Not ignorant, Lucky charm, just not a "steward of the earth."

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

I consider myself lucky to have been a part of huge projects that change not only the air quality of this country, drastically, but the whole planet.

Though I was only one person in approximately 6-8 thousand people working these projects, I was there and I'm proud of it. 

Other than that, I don't litter, I recycle, I've planted beach grass.  Oh and I hang my laundry outside.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

Why is it that you have to like and use the light bulbs you do to be considered a "steward of the earth"?  People do things that they can, which may not be the same things you are able to do.  Some are able to drive small cars while family's may need to drive a mini van.  Others can function comfortably with the thermostats lower in the winter than others.  Everyone can do their part in their own way, not always your way.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

In any case I stocked up.  The new bulbs with the big price tag, they still blow out and sometimes even faster. I don't keep the boxes, dumb ole me, so I cannot return them.  That will teach me!  I don't see the electricity savings either.  Seems a ploy to take more money out of our pockets. 

Honored Contributor

Other ways to lower your electrical costs-- seal all openings around your foundation -- that includes doors and windows; make sure you have adequate insulation in your attic area to prevent heat loss in cold weather.

Change out your appliances like refrigerators for more energy efficient ones.

These little things help in terms of the 'big picture' of energy savings.

Most electric companies also have on their websites further info on how to save energy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I certainly didn't start the post to argue about them. I found some bulbs, thanks to the post. I'm still looking for floodlight bulbs, indoor, 75W. I do feel the new bulbs don't hold a candle (ha,ha) to the incandesents they are replacing. I can't see what I'm doing in my kitchen, anymore. I also learned some information as to why my CFL bulbs don't last. A poster explained why this happens. Thank you all. 

@Mindy D - I've found that the LED indoor floods actually provide more light in my kitchen than the old incandescent ones did, they look better because the are flat not domed and they last so much longer so I'm not having to climb my step stool to replace bulbs.