Honored Contributor

Re: The post about light bulbs

@Mominohio wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

OMG, someone actually believes light bulbs were portrayed as evil.

Lord save us, cried Mrs. Davis...

Now you know that there are those here that think if you don't conserve to their standards in their ways, you and the energy wasting item are both evil. Comes across in their attitudes and their mocking.  Um, just sayin'.

No, I don't know that.  Hyperbole, thanks, but no thanks. I don't know of anyone who would say it.

Intelligent people don't classify such things as evil.

Just sayin'.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Serial killers may be evil.

Energy saving light bulbs and their proponents, not evil.

Those against energy saving light bulbs and their proponents, not evil.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

Fluorescent lighting has been around for decades. It isn't new. And as found posted incandescent bulbs are being produced by GE. There are new bulbs on the market that give off the same light as the old style bulbs. Other than having to be energy efficient things have not really changed that much in the lighting world. 

If incandescent bulbs have actually been banned anywhere in the U.S., I'm sure they can still be ordered online.

Today I had errands to run at a few stores and I made a point of checking out light bulb sections  .... and every store had a wide selection of incandescent bulbs.   

Just in case the conspiracy nuts actually know something, I bought a few packs of 100 watt bulbs.   LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

mominohio wrote: 

Consider more than the electric bill when defining the conservation effect. What is the cost (both monetary and to the environment) of obtaining the materieals for the various new bulbs? What effect does the increased purchase cost contribute to the effects? What are the cost, monetary and to the environment of disposal (proper and improper) of the various types? Any difference in the energy or waste used/generated in the manufacture, packaging and distribution of the newer bulbs?

These types of things could change the 'effeciency' and true cost to the environment, and make some of these choices no better (maybe even worse) that the old standard bulbs. But you won't find those questions addressed in most research. The government says they are more efficient, so that should be enough. It isn't for me.

From some of my fast research, power plant emissions are reduced for starters. I'm sorry to say that you are not going to accept anything that is written as fact because you personally don't like the fact that the federal government, in 2007, enacted legislation that will help the environment.

It's along the same lines as those who oppose the banning of plastic bags because of the harm they have done and will continue to do to the environment.

Let's be serious here, folks were in an uproar when seatbelts were mandated in vehicles. Then legislation had to be passed to force people to actually use them. It didn't matter that in most cases seatbelts saves lives. They didn't want the government telling them what to do.

Esteemed Contributor

Uncle Fester Woman LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRK6LTgg-Gc

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tinkerbell:  We can't have too much TP, and sometimes bulbs as well.  I'm thinking that in various parts of the country where natural disasters often/sometimes take place, it just might be better (safer) to have the old fashioned bulbs and/or LED's (instead of the CFL's).  Just to be safe, just in case.  (Only thinking out loud, and said in a nice manner)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Why do people have to get nasty about light bulbs?

SMH

Honored Contributor

What do natural disasters have to do with lightbulbs??Woman Frustrated

No matter how you look at it, there would be no electricity to light anything!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just in case CFL light fixtures/lamps were to fall over, break, etc. in natural disasters of various types.  Sort of a safety measure, that's if it's true about some (possibly toxic) bulbs needing to be disposed of properly/safely.  Just thinking out loud, as usual.  I'm always interested when somebody contributes possible safety information.  Every little bit helps. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

OMG, someone actually believes light bulbs were portrayed as evil.

Lord save us, cried Mrs. Davis...

Now you know that there are those here that think if you don't conserve to their standards in their ways, you and the energy wasting item are both evil. Comes across in their attitudes and their mocking.  Um, just sayin'.

No, I don't know that.  Hyperbole, thanks, but no thanks. I don't know of anyone who would say it.

Intelligent people don't classify such things as evil.

Just sayin'.

@NoelSeven

C'mon 'fess up!  You know you saw a lot of evil trick or treaters dressed up as light bulbs on Halloween. Woman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow