Honored Contributor

Re: The post about light bulbs

It is light bulbs,people, i just thought  it was so childish,to argue over it, that is why i started the post, not to fight, there is so much going on all around us,important things,this was not one of them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Thank you, Noel Heart   You always have a link, no matter what.  Truly appreciated.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It is light bulbs,people, i just thought  it was so childish,to argue over it, that is why i started the post, not to fight, there is so much going on all around us,important things,this was not one of them.

@goldensrbest

There's the world out there, of which you speak and the world indoors, of which some of us speak. 

The world indoors and the ambiance created by lighting, amongst a host of other things, can make or break one's comfort and functionality level in the interior surroundings we create.

The correct light bulb in the correct setting in my home is important to me.  There's a heck of a lot going on "out there" that does not affect me personally or that disgusts me to the extent that I no longer watch the new.  Any news.

One of these centuries we may straighten up. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Thank you, Noel Heart   You always have a link, no matter what.  Truly appreciated.

Woman LOL

Hi ROMARY!

You are kind of right Smiley Happy  This line needed a little levity and I figured most people hadn't heard of the Bay Area's famous 114 year old light bulb.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

This is exactly where people don't get it. It is important, when one realizes that it isn't just a thing of the past that served no use any longer, had be phased out because no one considered it valuable any more, was no longer selling in the market, and replaced by much better technology.

It was forced out by the government, under the guise of conservation with the people of this nation having no recourse to keep it if they wanted it. It is/was, just a simple light bulb, cost effective, liked by many, holding it's own as the technology and the market expanded with new ideas. But without regard to the cost, dangers, or actual useful light given by the newer bulbs, it was legislated not only out of existence, but into the role of evil, and according to many posting on the other thread, so are those who think that Americans should have a choice to still produce, purchase and use this simple, safe, and time tested bulb.

So yes, it is very important, when yet another choice is legislated away from the public, for reasons that are quite disputable.

Respected Contributor

Fluorescent lighting has been around for decades. It isn't new. And as found posted incandescent bulbs are being produced by GE. There are new bulbs on the market that give off the same light as the old style bulbs. Other than having to be energy efficient things have not really changed that much in the lighting world. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

This is exactly where people don't get it. It is important, when one realizes that it isn't just a thing of the past that served no use any longer, had be phased out because no one considered it valuable any more, was no longer selling in the market, and replaced by much better technology.

It was forced out by the government, under the guise of conservation with the people of this nation having no recourse to keep it if they wanted it. It is/was, just a simple light bulb, cost effective, liked by many, holding it's own as the technology and the market expanded with new ideas. But without regard to the cost, dangers, or actual useful light given by the newer bulbs, it was legislated not only out of existence, but into the role of evil, and according to many posting on the other thread, so are those who think that Americans should have a choice to still produce, purchase and use this simple, safe, and time tested bulb.

So yes, it is very important, when yet another choice is legislated away from the public, for reasons that are quite disputable.

Governments around the world started phasing out incandescent light bulbs in 2005. Brazil and Venezuela did it in 2005. We were a little late with legislation passed in 2007. The implementation was delayed until 2012.

It's not under the guise of conservation. It's a proven fact if one would do some research.

Personally, I like the LED lights so much better than either incandescent or the awful CFLs. The light the latter gave off was horrible. LED lighting seems to be brighter and cleaner than any I remember.

Honored Contributor

OMG, someone actually believes light bulbs were portrayed as evil.

Lord save us, cried Mrs. Davis...

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Governments around the world started phasing out incandescent light bulbs in 2005. Brazil and Venezuela did it in 2005. We were a little late with legislation passed in 2007. The implementation was delayed until 2012.

It's not under the guise of conservation. It's a proven fact if one would do some research.

Personally, I like the LED lights so much better than either incandescent or the awful CFLs. The light the latter gave off was horrible. LED lighting seems to be brighter and cleaner than any I remember.

Consider more than the electric bill when defining the conservation effect. What is the cost (both monetary and to the environment) of obtaining the materieals for the various new bulbs? What effect does the increased purchase cost contribute to the effects? What are the cost, monetary and to the environment of disposal (proper and improper) of the various types? Any difference in the energy or waste used/generated in the manufacture, packaging and distribution of the newer bulbs?

These types of things could change the 'effeciency' and true cost to the environment, and make some of these choices no better (maybe even worse) that the old standard bulbs. But you won't find those questions addressed in most research. The government says they are more efficient, so that should be enough. It isn't for me.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

OMG, someone actually believes light bulbs were portrayed as evil.

Lord save us, cried Mrs. Davis...

Now you know that there are those here that think if you don't conserve to their standards in their ways, you and the energy wasting item are both evil. Comes across in their attitudes and their mocking.  Um, just sayin'.