Honored Contributor

Re: The post about light bulbs

I don't think that is a great idea-- lining lamp shades with foil to concentrate heat. Probably better to get a programmable thermostat and set the heat to be higher when you are up and about or wear layers of clothing if you want to keep heat lower during the day.

I would investigate making sure all doors and windows on the exterior have enough caulk around them to prevent cold air from seeping in.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Just Zazz:  Thanks.  Yes, I've said before, one light bulb in a goose neck floor lamp overhead keeps me and/or kitty nice and warm.  No need to turn on central air furnace.  Just one bulb per floor lamp.  40W.  Oh: I'm guessing that if I line the downward shade with reflective aluminum foil, it will actually double the amount of light and heat. The downward facing shade only.  Right?  (I sometimes astonish myself with all of my fangled ideas....lol)

That's the point. Most of the energy from those bulbs is wasted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not wasted on and by me. In my case, I'm making good use of a 40W bulb!  No need to turn on central heater furnace.  We don't use the other upstairs rooms, just the first floor.  A couple of portable fan heaters, and all is well.  Monthly bill is very low. Of course, we don't live in snow country.  That's another matter, and that's for sure! 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY, you use a light bulb for heat?

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Just Zazz:  Thanks.  Yes, I've said before, one light bulb in a goose neck floor lamp overhead keeps me and/or kitty nice and warm.  No need to turn on central air furnace.  Just one bulb per floor lamp.  40W.  Oh: I'm guessing that if I line the downward shade with reflective aluminum foil, it will actually double the amount of light and heat. The downward facing shade only.  Right?  (I sometimes astonish myself with all of my fangled ideas....lol)

That's the point. Most of the energy from those bulbs is wasted.

It isn't wasted if it adds warmth in the cold weather. Some of us live with colder temps for 6 months of the year, and in the warm months, hardly need a light on due to longer days.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought that the manufacture of incandescent bulbs was slowly being phased out per government regulation.  I think that 100 and 75 watt bulbs can no longer be made but  less than 75 watt bulbs can be manufactured through the phase out period. I do know that there was a GE bulb manufacturing plan in the City I live in that was closed down when the new requirements were mandated.  300 people lost their jobs.

Honored Contributor

I am so ashamed.  I like incandesent bulbs/