Honored Contributor

Re: The past few days I saw the best and worst in people.

I guess bragging ,and feeling superior, to someone, because they mentioned a kind act ,is not tooting your own horn..Who knew?

Honored Contributor

@cherry

@cherry wrote:

I guess bragging ,and feeling superior, to someone, because they mentioned a kind act ,is not tooting your own horn..Who knew?

I don’t understand what you are trying to say with this comment.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

I am sharing this and not because of my part in the story but what happened with the other woman in the story that really made me realize their truly is a lot of goodness and nice people we just don't hear about them like we do the bad ones.

I was at the grocery store a couple weeks ago on a Friday before Thanksgiving. The store was really busy. I had gotten through the check stand when I heard a lot of commotion going on. I ask what was happening and I was told that the lady that had just gotten her groceries checked out didn't have her wallet in her purse. She offered to pay with a check but they wouldn't take her check without ID. People were saying things like "just put your groceries to the side go find your wallet and come back" She said "I live in the mountains." Well I went over and ask the clerk how much she needed. He said $80.00 so I told them to start bagging her stuff and I paid it for her. While this was going on she ask me for my name and address. I also had a cold and my voice was very hoarse. I wasn't even sure she could hear me but I just gave it to her and got my cart and left. I didn't even think anymore about it. Now she did have stuff for a holiday dinner that she was getting. A few days later a lovely thank you note showed up along with a hand written letter and $100.00 in cash. I had paid for her groceries with cash. She said in the letter that when she got to her car all she could do was cry and she couldn't believe that I had done that. She said twenty dollars of this is for interest. She said several nice things about me in the letter and it turns out she is a professional pet nurse. I was very impressed that she took the time to not only pay me back but add extra and write a hand written letter. She said she called her husband and he found her wallet laying on the island in their kitchen.

Yes, I think this was a VERY nice thing you did for this lady. Maybe its just me but I feel uncomfortable "tooting my own horn". I feel that it looks as if you are begging for recognition and praise. Yes, you did a generous deed but I know I would have just kept this story to myself. I only need myself to feel full of pride deep down inside knowing I did the right thing. Heart

As I stated in the beginning I wasn't posting it because of my part in the story. I just wanted to point out that there are some really good people in the world and what the lady did with her letter back to me. I understand why you would interupt it this way though.

Honored Contributor

I am trying to say bragging, that you would never say, you did anything kind  for another,because it is tooting your own horn, is another  form of tooting your own horn

It says, I am such a perfect person, I would never do that

Honored Contributor

I love to hear when someone does something nice or has something nice done for them.It makes me feel  happy to know there are still wonderful kind people who care.I think it also 8nspires me to try harder to improve someone else’s experience too.I don’t call it horn tooting but spreading good in the hope that it will inspire someone else.If we didnt hear about it we wouldn’t know that kindness existed.So toot toot!

Honored Contributor

@dexexactly. Its like hiding your light under a bushel basket. We are supposed to be light for the world

No one was bragging, they are better than others ,or holier than others. They told what happened, to give credit to the person ,that responded so beautifully, to the help she offered, not to elevate their own standing

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

I am sharing this and not because of my part in the story but what happened with the other woman in the story that really made me realize their truly is a lot of goodness and nice people we just don't hear about them like we do the bad ones.

I was at the grocery store a couple weeks ago on a Friday before Thanksgiving. The store was really busy. I had gotten through the check stand when I heard a lot of commotion going on. I ask what was happening and I was told that the lady that had just gotten her groceries checked out didn't have her wallet in her purse. She offered to pay with a check but they wouldn't take her check without ID. People were saying things like "just put your groceries to the side go find your wallet and come back" She said "I live in the mountains." Well I went over and ask the clerk how much she needed. He said $80.00 so I told them to start bagging her stuff and I paid it for her. While this was going on she ask me for my name and address. I also had a cold and my voice was very hoarse. I wasn't even sure she could hear me but I just gave it to her and got my cart and left. I didn't even think anymore about it. Now she did have stuff for a holiday dinner that she was getting. A few days later a lovely thank you note showed up along with a hand written letter and $100.00 in cash. I had paid for her groceries with cash. She said in the letter that when she got to her car all she could do was cry and she couldn't believe that I had done that. She said twenty dollars of this is for interest. She said several nice things about me in the letter and it turns out she is a professional pet nurse. I was very impressed that she took the time to not only pay me back but add extra and write a hand written letter. She said she called her husband and he found her wallet laying on the island in their kitchen.

Yes, I think this was a VERY nice thing you did for this lady. Maybe its just me but I feel uncomfortable "tooting my own horn". I feel that it looks as if you are begging for recognition and praise. Yes, you did a generous deed but I know I would have just kept this story to myself. I only need myself to feel full of pride deep down inside knowing I did the right thing. Heart

Yet you don't mind tooting your own horn about being a "perfect" Type 1 diabetic and everything YOU do is "perfect." LOL

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

Yet you don't mind tooting your own horn about being a "perfect" Type 1 diabetic and everything YOU do is "perfect." LOL

@Trinity11.  Yeah, she tells us that almost every day. LOL

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl  @Kitlynn    thank you for relaying your stories. I enjoyed both.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Valued Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Kitlynn wrote:

HARDLY.