Honored Contributor

I know there is another thread about flue shots , but my question is specific. Last year I would have bee eligible for the stronger shot, but CVS was out of it and I didn't want to come back. For those of you who got the stronger shot, did you have any adverse reactions, or was it business as usual ? TIA.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Frequent Contributor

I had the over 65 shot the last 2 years and no problems!

I'm 84.

Honored Contributor

@resort gal wrote:

I had the over 65 shot the last 2 years and no problems!

I'm 84.

Thanks !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have not heard of an "over 65 flu shot". DH and I are over 65 and have always just gotten a regular flu shot. No problems, no flu. Who is recommending this other shot? Is it just another way for the medical profession to bill Medicare for more money?

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Super Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I have not heard of an "over 65 flu shot". DH and I are over 65 and have always just gotten a regular flu shot. No problems, no flu. Who is recommending this other shot? Is it just another way for the medical profession to bill Medicare for more money?

It has been around for several years. As we age, our immune systems change. This flu vaccine offers better protection. It isn't a scam.

Honored Contributor

The only trouble is finding some place that has the vaccine.  I've not had any luck. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've had one.   It made my arm sore for 3 days whereas the regular shot didn't bother me at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The over 65 flu shot

[ Edited ]

indoorkitty ~ I've had the higher type flu shot for several years due to several cronic health conditions. My PCP makes it a point to keep a shot for me and contacts me when it arrives in his office. If your Dr. thinks you need one, ask him/her to do the same for you. Be ready to get the shot when called; they don't keep long.

One year I was caring for my mother and didn't check my messages when arriving home on a Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately my PCP takes Friday's off. Thus, by Monday AM the flu shot was no longer "good" and he didn't has any extra dosages for me. He suggested I try Walgreen's and provided me with a note. I went to two Walgreen's, both were out of the higher type flu shot. On my last try, the third store had one more dose. That note from my PCP saved the day! Walgreen's would have saved it for one of their regular customers (which I am not).

I am 69 and have not had any reactions to this flu shot in the several years I've been taking it. Nor have I had any type of illness. Recommend it if you have serious health issues or autoimmune diseases or if your PCP has suggested. Make sure you check with your Doctor first!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Regular Contributor

I had the "over 65" flu shot and pneumonia shot.  No reactions and I'm 74.

\

Esteemed Contributor

I got the shot last year and became ill. I was sick to my stomach and was cold. I was shivering. That was the first day. The second day I was ok. My arm was sore and they told me to keep moving it. I got my shot at CVS which was inside Target.