Honored Contributor

Re: The outerwear vest? Arms cold?

I've never tried wearing an outerwear vest because the concept doesn't make sense to me.  If I was gifted one, of course, I'd try it.

The other thing that's never made sense is wearing shorts with a jacket/short coat.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

Someone gave me a nice outerwear vest for Christmas a few years ago.  It sat in my closet until I finally donated it.  Could never find a use for it. They don't make sense for me.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

Not a fan of the whole look, but my SIL swears by them in the chilly LA mornings and nights to walk her dog.

Honored Contributor

No vests for me, my arms would freeze!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I have a collection of indoor & outdoor vests that I wear often, even in PA winters.

I go from the garage, to a store parking lot ,and into a store.  A vest is easier to drive in, and far prefferable to a coat while shopping, especially grocery shopping.

In cold winter months I often wear silk undershirts with my sweaters.  With these under a sweater or sweatshirt, I am quite comfortable wearing a vest during a short walk to and from my car.

I would choose a vest to wear to a movie to be warm but not bulky, and in many chilly restaurants a vest can be left on while eating.

I like a vest to be part of my outfit, hence many styles & colors.  A coat covers up everything, but a vest can be a completer piece.

I'm not ordering the TSV because I don't care for a thick collar.

Respected Contributor

I live in Florida so don't need a lot of outerwear but when I walk the dog and it is cold, it seems I need something on my head and my hands along with the body.  As much as I like the look as I am watching it on Carolyn, I just don't see the benefit.  Susan Graver had a coat on the other day that was convertible that looked quite useful.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Central Florida we have a lot of days when it does not feel cold but the wind is!  A vest keeps your body warm and the wind out.  I wear them often when walking the dog.  Our temperature will change as much as 20 degrees in one day.  Unzipped  a vest if OK when it warms up and zipped up keeps you warm.

My vests are not this heavy.  Most of them are fleece.

Respected Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

It depends on how/when you will wear it & your preferences. I live in west Michigan where our winters are nasty, but I wouldn't wear it as the outer-most layer unless it was a "balmy" day outside or if I were driving. If we will be driving somewhere, then inside a lot (like to the mall or going to lunch) I would wear it. I have a whole wardrobe of fleece vests and am just startin to accumulate down/puffy vests. I have asked for a creamy beige one for Christmas (Land's End) in fleece. They carry a petite size which works out better on this short frame.

Exactly. I have tried them in the past and found, like several of you, that I was too cold. I am usually cold in general, though. I also have trouble finding vests that aren't too boxy on me. I decided to try again this year with one from Talbots, because I thought it was a little different and I liked the style, it fit me well, and it was flattering on me. I definitely have to wear it with more than just a shirt or light sweater -- probably best for me with a long sleeve tee/shirt and some sort of fleece. (Note: I live in CA and don't experience the brutal cold some of you do.)

Contributor

They look stylish but not practical for me.  If I have to wear something warm under, I might as well put on my jacket.

Honored Contributor

It depends on a few things ...........

What is the temperature?      How long are you going to be out of doors?    Where are you going?

The vest can be great to keep your core warm, and is great for driving and running in and out of stores, or going outside for a few minutes to give the dog a quick walk.    Or running down the driveway to get the mail.   

Obviously, you wouldn't wear it to an open stadium where you'd sit in 30 degree weather for several hours!