Honored Contributor

Re: The office gossip got back to me......

@cherry wrote:

Back in the day, all  of the weddings I attended, were small affairs. The gifts were practical, and everyone was delighted, with whatever they got

I wore my sisters  wedding gown ,and veil, and shoes, and didn't think twice about it. My parents didn't go in debt to give us a  wedding, and  54 years later we are still together

@cherry

Cherry, I made two of my daughters' bridal gowns, all of my own mother-of-the bride outfits, and honestly can't remember all the little flower girl dresses, FHC dresses, and prom gowns through the years . . . and enjoyed every bit of it.  None of the weddings cost more than $4-5,000, and no one went into debt.  The honeymoons were very low key and self-paid.  (I'm talking '80s and early '90s)

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Back in the day I got married in the church chapel and had cake and punch in the church parlor. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  I think a lot of employers strong armed their employees to give to the united fund, After it was discovered that funds were being embezzled,  that stopped PDQ

Valued Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Why would you write a long, judgemental post  about a co-worker's wedding? Her wedding, her choices. I would simply ignore

@ellaphantWhy reply with a judgemental post. OP's post OP's choice. 

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree my dear Auntie also made my sisters gown, and veil, as well as her twins,  maid of honor dress..Back then ,most of us were so happy with our finery, it didn't matter if it was home sewn, or borrowed. We all glowed, and were beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Back in the day I got married in the church chapel and had cake and punch in the church parlor. 

@OKPrincess

I went to several weddings like that and they were lovely.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@cherry  UW never bothered me because I was one of those picky donors - I selected the specific charity - Paws with a Cause for all 38 years.  I received a confirmation letter from them each year that they got the money.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

There's too much Joe Hollywood going on now.  Rich people in Calif. on t.v. is not the norm.  To believe you should have all that is silly.  

It use to be "family" oriented.  Local, people in the neighborhood. Now it's like an octopus reaching out with all arms grabbing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

Why would you write a long, judgemental post  about a co-worker's wedding? Her wedding, her choices. I would simply ignore

@ellaphant

Why would you bother to respond to such a post, rather than take your own advice; "I would simply ignore"

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@LilacTree my dear Auntie also made my sisters gown, and veil, as well as her twins,  maid of honor dress..Back then ,most of us were so happy with our finery, it didn't matter if it was home sewn, or borrowed. We all glowed, and were beautiful.

@cherry

Of the weddings gowns I made, my oldest's was cotton eyelet with large bell sleeves and many yards of skirt with an four-inch eyelet hem.  It cost $400 for the material.  For my youngest, she went into Philly and bought a beautiful sequined white material for the top and white taffeta for the bell skirt, cost $200.  My oldest was married in July and she knew it was going to be hot (and it was blazing hot).  My youngest kept losing weight and I had to keep making adjustments to the top!!

My other two daughters bought their gowns in a shop.  One paid $400 for the first gown she tried on, and the other had one made for a little more than that, but it had poorly sewn cups in the bustline and she struggled with them throughout the entire wedding and reception.

Formerly Ford1224