Honored Contributor

Re: The office gossip got back to me......

@Abrowneyegirl

What a 'Greedy Gertie'! Good grief!

I wonder if this cash thing is a new trend?

I just read an article that Brody Jenner (Bruce's son) is getting married today and they have requested no gifts, they set up a 'Honeyfund' for their honeymoon instead.

Keep in mind that their wedding is a destination wedding, at an expensive, upscale    Indonesian resort island near Bali.

It's been years since I've been at a wedding, but this is new to me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It never ceases to amaze me what people spend on weddings these days.  I understand the norm is $50,000 and some parents have to put a second mortgage on their homes.  Not to mention probably more than half of these marriages will end up in divorce.

My lovely, sweet grandniece is getting married in July.  So far, they have had an engagement party, a wedding shower, and a bachelorette party.  I was invited, but could not attend any of them, but did send a gift from her registry for the wedding shower, and two of my daughters attended that.

I want very much to attend the wedding, and hope my body cooperates.  My daughters and I will combine funds for a financial gift for the wedding, but I understand for four of us that should be around $500.  My brother advised me at his son's wedding years ago that "$100 is nothing anymore."  I can't imagine what is acceptable nowadays.  Enough to pay for the wedding and the honeymoon, obviously.

It just brings me back to my own wedding back in 1961.  The gals at work gave me one shower which I did not expect and certainly did not have a "registry" of any kind.  But we had fun.

For our wedding, we received several $25 checks, and my husband's aunts put together and gave us a dishtowel set.  I think there were four (and there were four of them, which came to one dishtowel each).  I also received several trays.  I honestly cannot remember anything else.

By the way, we were fine with all of this, we did not expect anything more.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl: Wow, a real sense of entitlement in that one.

You obviously are one of the smart ones to not indulge this person. Hopefully by word getting around about your “selfishness” you have now given others permission to do the same.

Not knowing which other employees are giving or not people might feel pressure to give in so as not to be the only ones to not.

Congratulations on getting yourself removed from her invites. 

Wouldn't  bother me at all if I found out I was the only one but I bet you aren’t alone.

I'm not good at submitting to entitled people and don’t do it. I would have been right there with you. And it doesn’t matter if you donate to charities or anything else. It has nothing to do with this situation. Mind boggling, huh?

Honored Contributor

Back in the day, all  of the weddings I attended, were small affairs. The gifts were practical, and everyone was delighted, with whatever they got

I wore my sisters  wedding gown ,and veil, and shoes, and didn't think twice about it. My parents didn't go in debt to give us a  wedding, and  54 years later we are still together

Honored Contributor

Don't give it another thought...sounds like nothing makes her happy but material things. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Ahhh she has what I call a begging personality. 

I worked with one of those a few years ago.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I gave up years ago when another military spouse had a baby shower and her friend handed out a list of gifts organized by husband’s rank. The higher the rank the more expensive the gift expected.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl

She sounds like a greedy entitled millenial brat----I would "lose patience with HER" and try to avoid her at all costs except when required to do a work task----

She is NOT worthy of any gift or even a card---instead continue to donate the money to charities and animal causes or co-workers that ARE WORTHY of your hard earned dollar$ and dont pay any attention to her rants

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

BTW: I bet you are not the only one who is tired of all the gift giving with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@traveler  wow, that was bold.  My former employer (I'm retired now) pressured employees to contribute to company sponsored charities and the political action committee.  When it came to the united way annual campaign, which I donated to for 38 years, they would suggest contribution amounts by grade level or rank.  (Individual contributor, team lead, manager, etc).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise