Respected Contributor

Re: The news stories today, are depressing

If we bury our heads in the sand because news is uncomfortable or frightening, we are condemned   to live the lives we create by our fears.

The only way to change our circumstances is by actively participating in upholding our laws and the Constitution.  Our forefathers did it and so should we.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

I took up quilting this year!  I watch and read enough to stay a little informed.  I told my husband to let me know if I miss something that I need to know.

On top of everything else, there was a burglary very close to our home in our normally "normal" suburban neighborhood, and one of the perpetrators killed the police officer.  

Now I don't want to watch the news or leave the house...........

I'm frightened for the world my grandbabies are going to inherit.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

I watch it for a half hour in the morning and in the evening to be informed.....

Leaving it on all day was raisng hubby's BP....Dr advised him to turn it off also....

Valued Contributor

I like to read the news now.  I can pick and choose what I need to know.  

I turned on the local news a couple weeks ago and was literally bombarded with bad news.  Big mistake...

Respected Contributor

Oh boy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

Do what my doctor told me to do. Stop watching the news. He told me if it gets me like I tell him it does I don't need to be watching it. I don't watch the news or read the paper. Only thing I hear is what I read here or what DH says.

I also have a friend that texts me about our leader in charge. I told her I don't care & I have no clue what shes talking about. I'm not interested in that. There is nothing I can do about it. 

I did the same thing with our previous "leader in charge" for 8 years, so I feel your pain.

Since you brought it up and all.

Trusted Contributor

I stopped watching the news in 2008 and have never regretted doing so.  I have no interest or trust in anything the mainstream media has to say. Add that to the fact that everything is so negative -- I am just fine without it.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

I stopped watching the news in 2008 and have never regretted doing so.  I have no interest or trust in anything the mainstream media has to say. Add that to the fact that everything is so negative -- I am just fine without it.

Your post piqued my interest in the definition of the word "mainstream".  Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary defines it as "a prevailing current or direction of activity or influence".

Respected Contributor

I stopped watching the news a while back and recently the weather.

Any news of import will show up when I get on the internet and I can research topics that interest me for myself.  Completely uninterested in listening to talking heads blathering on and on.  I feel their opinions carry no more weight than anyone else’s. 

And the weather ... in my area the forecasting is useless. The only accurate information is sunrise and sunset.

Honored Contributor

How can anyone  assess the condition of the world if one does not watch and/or read the news?

It strikes me as odd how one can have an opinion yet in the same breath say that they do not watch/read  the news.

It isn't all gloom and doom; it never has been. 

I agree that stories, especially involving children, can be heart wrenching; but so can the stories that follow with solutions to child abuse and how one can become an advocate.

This is just an example.

People can be very lazy at times because things didn't turn out the way they wanted; and even when things turn out the way they did want they become complacent that all is well and it's a "carry on" attitude.

I may not like certain aspects of current events; but I would much rather discuss them with a person who has some knowledge and can bring something to the table, so to speak, for me to digest and think about.

Living in a daze with the old "too depressing, too sad, etc." is just a way to excuse oneself from being an informed and productive member of the world.

We cannot "fix" everything but we sure as shoot should at least know enough to be aware; because after all the masses who do not know are the ones most easily swayed.  That depresses me the most.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh