Honored Contributor

Re: The new anti cigarette commercial with Terri

I had to look at the date of the original post to be sure it wasn’t

‘bumping’ an old thread.  

The Terri-No-Smoking ad has been out for quite some time.

In fact the video is dated 2014. 

I predict someday the pro-smoking/vaping groups will claim

“Smoking Shaming” over these old ads. Or they will proclaim

lung cancer is ‘genetic’🙄

I don’t watch ‘single-digit’ tv....do these PSAs still run on the 

network stations? 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

‘bumping’ an old thread.  

network stations? 

@sidsmom   Well, it was new to me I guess....they are playing this end Video filmed two days before she died.....really moving and heart breaking.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   Yes.

There is currently an anti-vaping ad out using Muppets and it's disgusting (to me at least). The girl muppet leads in for a kiss and the male muppet starts vomiting due to vaping causing some issues with the stomach. The "vomit" is colored scarves but the sound affects and vomiting go on and on and on.....  Then the statement about vaping is shown. I believe the campaign is by TRUTH. I've seen this not only over at HSN but all over the place when it comes to children networks/shows as well as mainstream channels. There's another one using heavy metal rockers dressed as warlords.

Apparently vomiting is the "new" thing to show on TV.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

‘bumping’ an old thread.  

network stations? 

@sidsmom   Well, it was new to me I guess....they are playing this end Video filmed two days before she died.....really moving and heart breaking.

@SeaMaiden 

Have you seen the first videos of Terri? Or the progression to her death?  You are right...really moving and heart breaking.  Those ads are powerful

but the addiction is tough to fight. 

Honored Contributor

JMO these commercials will not make someone quit. 

They have the same effect as nagging and people turn a deaf ear.  The more you tell someone not to do something, the more they will do it.

People will quit something - anything when they're ready to do it on their own terms and time.

Honored Contributor

She was an extreme case and very sad.  I cannot understand how kids or adults can afford to buy cigarettes today.  I have been smoke free for 6 years and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do.  It is so highly addictive.  I became very sick and could hardly breathe and then and only then did I finally quit.  I did not have the information about smoking when I was growing up so there is no excuse for kids smoking today as they are well educated on the matter.  Smoking actually takes your breath away.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

the latest commercials out now are with the wife of leonard nimoy.

they are put out by the CDC and focus on smoking and COPD.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IJt0/centers-for-disease-control-leonards-more-time

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As horrible as this is, there are millions who smoke without this happening, so doubt it will have a huge impact, though it should, and there are other conditions which smoking is the cause of, the medical community seems to blame smoking for so many illnesses, yet not everyone who smokes succumbs to such.

My Mother was a chain smoker, no damage to her, but it caused me to have bronchitis all through High School and into my early twenties, at which time I moved out of the smoke house, as she wouldn't let me roll down my window of the car while she drove me to school over an hour away, not to mention the smoke in the house, but I could get away from it somewhat by going to my room, but I think there was an accumulation in my system over time.  She quit smoking when she was sixty, lived to 82.

My MIL quit smoking at around the same age, and lived to be 99.  Some are willing to take the risk, and to kids, forty is a lifetime away for them, so they think.

I actually had a former neighbor in my previous home who got throat cancer at the age of 45, and had her voice box removed.  they moved away and we lost touch through the years.  Though she was a smoker, she attributed the cancer to the stress caused by the death of her Merchant Marine son, completely ignoring the smoking factor.

Honored Contributor

People have to want to give up an addiction for themselves, not because others are nagging and warning them. I believe genetics do have a part in how substances and food affect your health.

Esteemed Contributor

Smoking killed my sisters heart. She couldn’t quit them, she wanted to vape the canister had a skull and crossbones ☠️ on it and said poison. We begged her not to do this to just quit. That nicotine just had such a hold on her. She was an addict. A year later she was on heart transplant list and 7 months after that she was gone. It was just a horrible thing to watch. God Bless Terri and her family.