Honored Contributor
On 7/9/2014 Opurrra said:

Carnations sometimes mean "cheap" ...

Well, with that attitude I doubt you get many flowers at all. For some of us the beauty is in the being thought of and in the pretty flower and scent. Not in what he paid for them.

Last year on my birthday my neighbor bought me pink carnations - she said she had seen my DH buying them for me at Publix and she knew I liked them.I greatly appreciated the gesture from her.

Regular Contributor

Last year my book club selected a novel called ""The Language of Flowers"". Great story and a great book. There were lots of references to the meaning certain flowers were meant to convey. The Victorians frequently used flowers to express their feelings.

Honored Contributor

I looked up pink carnations and some of the other flowers after reading this today. Here's what I found on the pink carnation. I thought this was beautiful:

Pink Carnations carry the greatest significance of all the Carnations, beginning with the belief that they first appeared on earth from the Virgin Mary's tears making them the symbol of a mothers undying love.

Honored Contributor

Anyone remember that song by Marty Robbins...

A White Sport Coat And A Pink Carnation ???????

Super Contributor

I love all flowers, but my favorite are any yellow flowers. For my wedding I carried white orchids.

Respected Contributor
On 7/9/2014 jubilant said:
On 7/9/2014 WaJa61 said:
On 7/9/2014 brewhaha said:

Opium.

Poppies for you, too!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Maybe not terribly romantic, but, hey -- they'd make us sleeeeep! I'll take 'em.

Good to see you, Jubilant!

Interesting thread, OP. I didn't know that about white roses. They were in my bridal bouquet, too.

Good to see you too, WaJa61. I agree this is an interesting thread and getting more interesting as the day goes by! I wanted to plant a field of Poppy's once but DH stopped me. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Well that sleep-party pooper! He obviously never had insomnia.

I always thought it was strange that they plant poppies along the interstate highways here. If the witch in Wizard of Oz was right... it can't be a good thing!

I love the scent of magnolia blossoms -- gardenias, too. Have no idea what either symbolizes. I will have to look them up.

Honored Contributor
On 7/9/2014 momma3gs said:

Last year my book club selected a novel called "The Language of Flowers". Great story and a great book. There were lots of references to the meaning certain flowers were meant to convey. The Victorians frequently used flowers to express their feelings.

Our book club read this book, too. I loved it. It was based on the Victorian version of the botanical book, which I also have.

The novel is fiction, but a very moving story about a young girl who has been in the foster care system for most of her life. She's "let go" at the age of 18, and struggles with life for a while, including a homeless stint, but then finds a career in the floral business, based on her love for flowers, and the meaning she sees in them.

Parts of the book are difficult to read. She has a tough life and is a tough girl. But I highly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

There are lots of flowers today, that have no historical meanings. They must hybrids or newer varieties.

But it's interesting reading, to learn that the flowers one sent, in the past, had meaning, other than "here are some pretty flowers for you".

White cherry=deception

mock orange=counterfeit

Who knew?

Super Contributor

Wildflowers.

Which probably have many meanings, LOL.

Super Contributor

Anyone remember that song by Marty Robbins...

A White Sport Coat And A Pink Carnation ???????

A white sport coat and a pink carnation, I'm all dressed up for the dance

A white sport coat and a pink carnation, I'm all alone in romance.

{#emotions_dlg.wub} (Anyone who remembers, sing along!)