Trusted Contributor

My first wedding I carried white roses and baby's breath.

My second wedding I wanted mixed tropical color including blue iris for my "something blue." The white is gardenia which I chose for the gorgeous scent.

I don't know what any of it means. I just like flowers because I like them, lol!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Regular Contributor
On 7/9/2014 happy housewife said:
On 7/9/2014 jubilant said:
On 7/9/2014 Opurrra said:

Carnations sometimes mean "cheap" ...

I love carnations. I carried them at my wedding in a shell pink color. Not to mention how rufflie and beautiful they are.

I love so many flowers I don't think I could narrow it down to one but .... Roses, Carnations, Tulips, and Poppies would be at the top of the list.

I love how carnations smell too. I would buy a perfume that smelled like carnations.

HH, just wanted to add that "blue carnation" perfume is available at many places.

Honored Contributor
On 7/9/2014 september said:
On 7/9/2014 momma3gs said:

Last year my book club selected a novel called "The Language of Flowers". Great story and a great book. There were lots of references to the meaning certain flowers were meant to convey. The Victorians frequently used flowers to express their feelings.

Our book club read this book, too. I loved it. It was based on the Victorian version of the botanical book, which I also have.

The novel is fiction, but a very moving story about a young girl who has been in the foster care system for most of her life. She's "let go" at the age of 18, and struggles with life for a while, including a homeless stint, but then finds a career in the floral business, based on her love for flowers, and the meaning she sees in them.

Parts of the book are difficult to read. She has a tough life and is a tough girl. But I highly recommend it.

That sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. I was just looking for a new book to read, so think I'll take a look at it.Smile

For those interested, here's a pretty comprehensive list of flowers and their meanings:

"The Language of Flowers

We have composed a list of the most popular and more common herbs and flowers and their meanings. However, the list is infinite. And, of course, the meanings may change with various combinations. Have fun reviewing the list!"

(link goes to: http://www.victorianbazaar.com/meanings.html)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
On 7/10/2014 dooBdoo said:

Last year my book club selected a novel called "The Language of Flowers". Great story and a great book. There were lots of references to the meaning certain flowers were meant to convey. The Victorians frequently used flowers to express their feelings.

Our book club read this book, too. I loved it. It was based on the Victorian version of the botanical book, which I also have.

The novel is fiction, but a very moving story about a young girl who has been in the foster care system for most of her life. She's "let go" at the age of 18, and struggles with life for a while, including a homeless stint, but then finds a career in the floral business, based on her love for flowers, and the meaning she sees in them.

Parts of the book are difficult to read. She has a tough life and is a tough girl. But I highly recommend it.

That sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. I was just looking for a new book to read, so think I'll take a look at it.Smile

For those interested, here's a pretty comprehensive list of flowers and their meanings:

"The Language of Flowers

We have composed a list of the most popular and more common herbs and flowers and their meanings. However, the list is infinite. And, of course, the meanings may change with various combinations. Have fun reviewing the list!"

This was interesting. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Hi, jubilant! You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed!Smile

I found it interesting, although the wallpaper was a wee bit distracting.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor
On 7/10/2014 dooBdoo said:

"The Language of Flowers

I read and enjoyed the novel by Vanessa Diffenbaugh a couple of years ago.

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa…

Trusted Contributor
On 7/9/2014 LoopyLoo said:
On 7/9/2014 jubilant said:

Anyone remember that song by Marty Robbins...

A White Sport Coat And A Pink Carnation ???????

A white sport coat and a pink carnation, I'm all dressed up for the dance

A white sport coat and a pink carnation, I'm all alone in romance.

{#emotions_dlg.wub} (Anyone who remembers, sing along!)

I most certainly remember that great oldie. I always had a preference for a white sport coat over a tux on a young man (my boyfriend and my sons) at prom or other formal. Maybe that's why!

Honored Contributor

Another interesting ? - what flowers did you have for your prom? I had pink carnations for mine - same guy that is still buying them for me. For his prom a couple years before - yellow roses. My nursing school senior dance - red roses.