Respected Contributor

Re: The man who killed Cecil the lion is an American dentist

What a shame, such a beautiful lion was killed just to be a trophy prize. This dentist is now trying to back track and be without blame because he knows what he did was unethical. How sad

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Valued Contributor

Trusted Contributor

And he didn't kill the poor creature instantly.  Cecil suffered terribly.  I would not have anything to do with this man.

Trusted Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

What is it with dentists and killing animals?  There was some idiot a few months ago that killed a cat with an arrow and posted it.  I remember I signed a petition to the dental board on her.  Maybe there will be something like that for this doofus.  Hope he loses his practice over this. 

Dentists, yes. It seems so often that I see big game hunting and it is a dentist. There are at least two airports in Alaska that have numerous bears, both grizzly and polar, and other animals on display and they were shot by dentists. I have a dentist in my family that built an addition to his home to hold the trophies. It is now full. Makes me think that Steve Martin's dentist in Little Shop of Horors was right on.

Respected Contributor

"This isn't the first time Palmer has found himself in trouble with wildlife authorities. In 2008, Palmer — who lives in Eden Prairie, Minnesota — pleaded guilty to making false statements to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Court documents say he shot the bear outside the authorized zone, then tried to pass it off as being killed elsewhere.  Palmer was given probation and fined nearly $3,000."  

Fox News article

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The dentist paid big money and had PROFESSIONAL guides. They (all) knew what they were doing. They knew they had to lure Cecil (or any lion) out of the reserve in order to fulfill this American hunter's ambition...and contract.

I doubt they get paid (or in full) and receive the huge tips if they don't bring down an animal to the specifications of the hunter who hired them.

If there had been a bunch of other wild lions running outside of the reserve, they would have shot one of them.

Obviously, there were none for the taking. Or none that were as easy prey as adorable Cecil, the lion who loved people.

So the whole safari team knew precisely what they were doing in luring a lion out of the reserve. They, as professional guides, would know precisely where reserve lines are drawn.

Even Palmer had to have known where the reserve lines were drawn...even if one wishes to argue that he would want to know in order to stay away from those boundaries.

When on safari, everyone knows what's going on...and they'd ALL know that a lion (or any other) animal was being lured out of a reserve.

And professional guides surely would know Cecil the lion, just by being locals involved in the wild animal trade.

Also, Palmer has a history as a poacher. He knows how poaching works...and obviously isn't a person past using that tactic to bring down an animal.

It all should demonstrate just how horrible and useless the killing of most any of these big game wild animals is. Its all for the trashy aggrandisement of certain people with no regard for life.

What would Palmer have done with the severed head of Cecil (or any lion)? Ship it home to hang over his 70" TV as he watches "Animal Planet"??

Respected Contributor

More info on the good dentist:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_28548920/bloomington-dentist-accused-killing-zimbabwe-lion-il...

The Minnesota Board of Dentistry referenced his conviction for the Wisconsin bear hunt, as well as sexual harassment claims, in 2009 while punishing him for unprofessional conduct.

According to a corrective action agreement he reached with the board, Palmer's insurer paid $127,500 to a former employee and patient who accused him of ongoing sexual harassment. The woman claimed he made unwelcome comments about and physical contact with her breasts, buttocks and g**itals.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I bet his patients are sickened with the knowledge that their hard earned money was used for him to play big hunter and poaching these beautiful animals.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

If he shoots one more arrow at a living being, it should be inward!

Frequent Contributor

Animal Rights Coalition of Minneapolis is having a protest tomorrow afternoon at his dental office in Bloomington. I hope this b$*@!&d pays for what he did!!!! He has pictures all over his office of the exotic wildlife he's killed. SICKENING!!!!!!!