Respected Contributor

Re: The man who killed Cecil the lion is an American dentist

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

I am giving my pov if you don't like that I suggest you don't read it. I did not call anyone out personally and I certainly did not ask you to volunteer what you deem acceptable to eat.

I understand the hypocrisy here. One animal is prized while another animals life is not. So if that makes you uncomfortable so be it.

I know this is a touchy subject and not one I find easy either. I just find it amazing how one animal we will mourn while another we will slaughter. 

By all means do not comment unless you want me to continue.

I have never taken kindly to ultimatums, so I WILL make one final comment.

You steered the subject toward how we as a civilization use animals, so a discussion of food quite naturally occurred.  I would suggest that if you don't care for other opinions then are you are free not to read either. 

By all means, feel free to comment.  

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

I agree Cecil's life was no more valuable than an un-named lion, or any other animal of any species. 

The difference I see is that the lion (named or otherwise) was killed for fun and his body was defamed as a trophy.

I can accept the killing of animals for food and service, but even then it needs to be done with mercy, respect and gratitude.  Cecil--and any other hunted animal--was afforded neither.

This man (I use the term loosely) and his accomplices deserve every price they pay now.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I didn't steer anything  I commented with my POV. I expect comments in agreement and disagreement.  Thanks for sharing your disagreement. And just for the record again you commented back your disagreement. I did not know we could only make comments in regards to this creature. 

Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Off topic - part of side conversation that was removed for arguing.

Frequent Contributor

I am a strict vegan and read every label meticulously and do my absolute best to bring no harm to any innocent living creature.   I do not push my lifestyle onto others and try my best to be tolerant of different viewpoints.

I find this man's actions and those of his co-conspirators to be cowardly, reprehensible and impossible for me to understand, condone or tolerate.  It doesn't have anything to do with being vegan.  It is because the senseless killing of anything that is put into a helpless and vulnerable position with no defenses is wrong by most standards. 

The fact that he is a "health care professional" makes is absolutely sickening.  If you don't mind causing pain and suffering to one innocent creature, what would stop you from doing it to another, like a child or someone who is disabled?

I'm going to move on from this by thinking about the ideal place to mount HIS head and by hoping this helps to change the world - even in some small way.

Respected Contributor

Please, lets try to respect everyone's opinions.

Cara is right. All animals should be valued.

That doesn't imply that those who wear leather and eat meat are cruel barbarians. But we need to recognize that there are discrepancies, even to a degree hypocrisy, when we mourn the slaughter of one magnificent animal over the slaughter of an "ordinary" chicken. Intent behind killing matters but a life extinguished is just that. It is death because we want to exist. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

I eat meat and wear leather, I had an Rh shot when pregnant, etc., what I ask is that the animal be killed humanely, whether for use or for sport. I don't like the idea of sport hunting, but I also don't think it is any consolation to the animal being killed if 'we' consider it a useful death or not.

Now having said all of that, I will say this: maybe this would be a good use for drones, to patrol areas where animals are supposed to be protected. Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

The latest news and I don't believe a word of it. 

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

A big-game hunter from the Twin Cities acknowledged Tuesday that he killed a beloved lion in Zimbabwe with a bow and arrow, but said he regrets what he did and believed that his guides were leading him on a legal hunt.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

The latest news and I don't believe a word of it. 

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

A big-game hunter from the Twin Cities acknowledged Tuesday that he killed a beloved lion in Zimbabwe with a bow and arrow, but said he regrets what he did and believed that his guides were leading him on a legal hunt.

Me either, he's a liar.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Please keep this thread on the original topic and away from controversial topics. 

-Brittany