Super Contributor

The magical healing power of tennis balls...

I have posted before about my Golden Retriever nurse...I know it is common in the breed and probably the only true Golden trait she has LOL. When one of us isn't feeling well she sticks to us like glue until we are well.

She uses her neck and chin as a heating pad and intuitively knows just where you hurt.

Something new she has begun this past year is a bit odd but very interesting. If one of us lays on the couch which is only done when one is not feeling well around here. She quietly and purposefully grabs every tennis ball in the house, gently nudges them around you - you don't even feel her doing this. Then she jumps onto the couch and settles in at your feet to keep watch. She doesn't only do this to us but our other dogs as well...

When you wake or try to get up from the couch...about 20 tennis balls go rolling onto the floor, she stretches, smiles and gets down. Miraculously we all feel better after this.

I don't know, maybe some type of Golden Retriever Acupressure?

Valued Contributor

Re: The magical healing power of tennis balls...

How sweet !!!!!

Super Contributor

On 5/8/2014 marky said:

How sweet !!!!!

yes it is really sweet. She is a top notch nurse...

Valued Contributor

Awww - aren't Goldens the best? Maybe she brings you the tennis balls because she figures they make her so happy and they might have the same effect on you - sounds like it works too!

Honored Contributor

I love dogs! People should learn from them.

Trusted Contributor

Our 15 year old boy is part Golden, and has always had little rituals, lol. In his younger years, while we were sleeping, he would collect all of his chew bones, rawhide bones, and anything else that resembled a bone, and actually arrange them in symmetrical patterns on the floor. We'd wake up in the morning and discover his artwork.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Regular Contributor

My Dastardly Duo are Goldens. Wonderful fur angels. I had the same thought as the above poster in that she loves her tennis balls so much it is what she can think of to bring comfort to those she loves. How precious is that? Snugs to that sweet girl.

Super Contributor

Sounds like she might also barricade you/other dog in with those tennis balls, so that you/other dog stay extra safe and well. Smile

Like she intentionally builds a tennis ball fortress, LOL. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Sounds like she's a born nurturer and protector. Thank God for Golden Retrievers. {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

BTW, your thread starter is beautifully, and very enjoyably, -written. 8)

Respected Contributor

Very sweet! Goldens are the best!