Regular Contributor

Re: The leaves are 'turning' in Bear Mt. New York

Here in NC, our trees are already turning, too. It's really quite odd. My husband and I were commenting tonight that it looks about six weeks early! What's going on??

Trusted Contributor

I'm in central Maryland, and our leaves are also changing.  The changing leaves take their cue from the changes in sunlight.

My husband knows someone who does satellite adjustments at NASA.  He said there was a major earth/axis shift at the end of 2012, and they had to make large adjustments to the satellites.  

In our area, for most of my life, the sunlight always started to "look like spring" during the first week in February.  This year, it didn't look that way until the end of February/beginning of March.

And, usually the sunlight starts to "look like fall" around the first week in August.  This year is started looking that way about three weeks earlier.  

It seems the fall-winter season has gotten longer, and the spring-summer season has gotten shorter.  I sure hope that doesn't mean it's going to be cold longer.......

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A BIG thank you for the explanation @onlyshopsonline

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

I love when the leaves turn. It is so beautiful! I also noticed it is getting darker outside earlier. That caught me off guard. I was washing dishes one night at my usual time and I was like hey I can't see! Lol! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

SW Pa we are having cool nights and days are in the mid 70s to low 80s. Very September like. I have seen a few trees turning color but just assumed they were not healthy and that was the reason.

Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Are you near Bear Mountain? I really haven't noticed, but I will check out the trees tomorrow. I usually don't look all the way to the top of the trees on my yard as they are pretty tall. Thanks for the heads up, or maybe not! LOL

No, I'm not but I had to travel through there today on the Palisades Pkway. 

You should have stopped for lunch--I live right off the Palisades. I am going up to Bear Mtn. next week for the Wed. car show and to the zoo. I wonder what things will look like in a week.

Honored Contributor

We had a bit of rain and thunder for a short period yesterday afternoon and it was so nice.  The Bank I drive by every day showed the temp. at 4:30 yesterday afternoon at 79 due to the clouds ect...  On Monday afternoon when I drove by at 4:30 it read 104.

Summer needs to fade away just a bit faster.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@appleseed wrote:

Here in NC, our trees are already turning, too. It's really quite odd. My husband and I were commenting tonight that it looks about six weeks early! What's going on??

Do you think maybe we're in for a hard winter? Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

We live in NH, not far from Dartmouth College.  There are some trees beginning to turn color.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

We live in NH, not far from Dartmouth College.  There are some trees beginning to turn color.

grrr

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow