Super Contributor

Re: The latest on Jahi McMath

If she were 17 and missing high school graduation, I could see the family having an emotional investment.

But who "graduates" from 8th grade? It's not like "graduating" from kindergarten where little kids like to pretend they're big boys and girls, and it's not real graduation with a certificate that means something. I don't see why it's a big deal to them.

Frequent Contributor

On 6/11/2014 colliegirls said:
On 6/11/2014 JaneMarple said:

My argument then is still the same now, there is no set standard for how long anyone grieves for a death, I say leave the family alone.

I agree, its a terrible tragedy and no one's business but the family and their loved ones involved.

The family opened the door asking for a diploma. The family keeps this story going. Just look at this board.....nothing about Jahi for months then Uncle Big Bucks calls the press to announce the family wants a diploma. So much for privacy.
Contributor

On 6/12/2014 Clover29 said:

If she were 17 and missing high school graduation, I could see the family having an emotional investment.

But who "graduates" from 8th grade? It's not like "graduating" from kindergarten where little kids like to pretend they're big boys and girls, and it's not real graduation with a certificate that means something. I don't see why it's a big deal to them.

Middle schools around here have 8th grade graduation and yes it is a big deal to them, not that Jahi will know anything about it or that she even earned it.

Esteemed Contributor

8th grade graduation has become a big deal around here. Our middle schools give out awards and honors and each child does go on stage to get a certificate of completion. It seems everything is a "big deal" these days.

Frequent Contributor

Clover, junior high graduations have been traditional for as long as I can remember. When I graduated in 1983 from 8th grade we had a ceremony with awards , scholarships and the whole nine yards. Same for my daughter 10 yrs ago.

If anything, the fact that Jahi ( or any child in a similar position) will never graduate from high school makes it even more meaningful for the family to have them be recognized.

Honored Contributor

On 6/12/2014 MickD said:

Now isn't Walt Disney's head cryogenically frozen......or his whole body....I was talking about this with DS last night........

That's Ted Williams the baseball player you might be thinking about.

MickD you should read the Snopes page about Walt Disney.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My middle school in KY had an 8th grade graduation and a boy who died in a hunting accident in November was honored with a certificate that was given to his parents during the ceremony.

It was a big deal to the parents and to our class. He was a good guy.

Respected Contributor

On 6/12/2014 Sedonee said:

Middle schools around here have 8th grade graduation and yes it is a big deal to them, not that Jahi will know anything about it or that she even earned it.

That's harsh. The kids who were lost to illness or whatever reason are honored for their memory, what might have been, for recognition of the loss to the school community.

Do you really imagine a list of qualifications when they weren't there to prove themselves one way or the other?

Esteemed Contributor

Those who have never lost a child have no idea what a parent goes through on those milestone days that their child was never able to attain.

Sedonee must not realize how hurtful her comments are.

Honored Contributor

The comment about not earning a graduation certificate got to me.

If Jahi had lived (and I do believe she is dead)...the family would likely have received something from the school at about the time of her graduation.

This did happen with a high school classmate of my my daughter's. He died in a traffic accident just before their senior year began. His mom accepted a certificate in his honor at their graduation. I think this was the right thing for his family, and the other students wanted this, as well.

edited by me: If she was still technically alive, but still in the hospital, I think the school would have considered the circumstances, and advanced her to the next level.