Honored Contributor

Re: The hiker found in Hawaii

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  How long does your 3-mile meditation take each day?

@esmerelda 

About 45 minutes.  

@QueenDanceALot    A 15-minute mile.  That's a pretty fast clip to be meditating.  I can't imagine meditating at that rate.  When I think of meditating while walking, I think of labyrinth walking. 

@esmerelda 

It's quite a moderate pace for me.  Perhaps because I have long legs and a long stride.

If I am walking for aerobic conditioning I go at closer to a 12 minute mile.

While you think about labyrinth walking, I will be out walking.

Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I have not seen this discussed, but many of the comments I see on the news stories associated with this young woman's experience doubt her tale of being lost on the Kahakapao Trail in East Maui's Makawao Forest Reserve.

I'm not familiar with the area, but they showed the ravine she fell into and, one report said she had broken her leg.

Just read she is out of the hospital after 16 days in the forest.

Her family is near the area where I live, and I'm happy for them that she was found.  It has been in our local paper.

Guess after so many made up stories, people are reluctant to believe.

I find myself wondering, too.

How can you get lost on an island?  If she kept walking, she'd fine her way out of the forest.  I think it's a stunt to get her name in the news and money from a movie or book deal. 

First, you fall some 20 feet from a cliff in a dense tropical forest on an island that is 48 miles long and 26 miles across at its widest point fracturing your leg.  Have you seen the topography in the area where Amanda was found?

Even without a fractured leg to ask how someone can get lost on an island is as ridiculous as asking how someone can get lost in a major city or anywhere else.

BTW, in my area at least once a week hikers on the heavily traveled  Appalachian Trail need to be rescued because they became disoriented and got lost or injured.

All good points @Marp .

I suspect some people think all islands are Gilligan's. 😁

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In doing a quick internet search to try and understand why social media focus seems to be on framing this as a hoax, I came across the stats the show Hawaii has the eighth highest rate of missing persons per capita in the nation.    Now that one of the cases was spotlighted, I guess it's the odd modern-day trend to look for others as some kind of proof of deceit but so far I don't get the feeling there was anything planned or deceitful in the original missing and rescue event.   The idea of a book, movie, etc., about any event after the fact isn't proof of planning or nefarious activity.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I have not seen this discussed, but many of the comments I see on the news stories associated with this young woman's experience doubt her tale of being lost on the Kahakapao Trail in East Maui's Makawao Forest Reserve.

I'm not familiar with the area, but they showed the ravine she fell into and, one report said she had broken her leg.

Her family is near the area where I live, and I'm happy for them that she was found.  It has been in our local paper.

How can you get lost on an island?  If she kept walking, she'd fine her way out of the forest.  I think it's a stunt to get her name in the news and money from a movie or book deal. 

First, you fall some 20 feet from a cliff in a dense tropical forest on an island that is 48 miles long and 26 miles across at its widest point fracturing your leg.  Have you seen the topography in the area where Amanda was found?

Even without a fractured leg to ask how someone can get lost on an island is as ridiculous as asking how someone can get lost in a major city or anywhere else.

BTW, in my area at least once a week hikers on the heavily traveled  Appalachian Trail need to be rescued because they became disoriented and got lost or injured.

Such excellent points, @Marp.    And I would add that in our area we not only have frequent mishaps, injuries, disorientation, and missing and rescue events, many of them involve people who are seasoned, experienced hikers and other active outdoors enthusiasts.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@glb613, you can't be serious. Do you know the topography?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

ITA.

I’m the first to question the validity of any story in this day/age.

That’s how the phrase ‘milkshake duck’ became popular 🥛🦆.

So even with all that in mind, my Spidey Sense isn’t picking up

anything with this story. Now...I’ve been wrong before but

it’s just a story about a woman getting lost & being found alive.

No more; no less.

AND on the heels of her recovery, there’s another missing hiker

story...can’t make me think all this is made up. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@suzyQ3 

ITA.

No more; no less.

But he's not getting any coverage (at least not in my area).  And that's sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@suzyQ3 

ITA.

No more; no less.

But he's not getting any coverage (at least not in my area).  And that's sad.

@Mj12,  local news has mentioned Mina also being missing in the same forest reserve as Amanda but in an area about 18 miles from where she was found.  Print media is covering the story more than broadcast but in all fairness at least in my area there was little coverage of Amanda until she was found even though she has ties to this area.

I think part of the difference is due to initial reports that he entered the forest "to seek clarity in nature" which i interpreted to mean he was not going for a simple hike.

The outcome for Mina does not sound very good based on an article from SFGate (excerpts below).

Mina was reported missing May 20 in the area of the Kapilau Ridge in Wailuku. Police and fire first responders have searched by air and on foot.

Responders discovered Mina's sandals around an elevation of 2,500 feet (762 meters), according to his father, Vincent.

The search will require air support from Federal Aviation Administration-certified drone pilots and donations to help fund private helicopters, Cantellops said.

The family's GoFundMe page collected nearly $30,000 by Sunday.  (last reported to be $50,000)

Weather and terrain are major factors in the area where some stretches of path are only 2 feet (0.61 meters) wide alongside a drop of 1,800 feet (549 meters), Cantellops said.

"This situation is extremely dangerous and different than Amanda's search," he said. "Volunteers will not be used in the search. We will be putting together a specialized team of pros that will be going into the area."

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

In the early morning hours of Wednesday, May 29, a crew of searchers aboard a helicopter spotted the body of missing hiker Noah “Kekai” Mina.

Mina was found about 300 feet below a fall line in the summit region of Mauna Kahalawai.

Recovery efforts are currently underway.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.